Mexican claims on Florida

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I know that Mexico acquired its independence from Spain shortly after Spain gave Florida to the US. This made me wonder--did Mexican revolutionaries/independence activists ever put forward a claim to Florida? I mean, I would think that the Mexican independence movement would have begun while Florida was still under Spanish rule.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I don't know, but Mexico wasn't strong enough to invade US territory.
Yes, but I meant whether the Mexican independence movement wanted Florida to become a part of Mexico before Spain gave it to the U.S. Obviously Mexico wasn't strong enough to attack the U.S. after it acquired independence.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
It is sort of odd that Spain ceded Florida in the Adams-Onis Treaty of 1819 in exchange for agreement on the borders between the US and New Spain shortly before agreeing to Mexican independence.

From Spain's point of view, it wanted to avoid war with the US and didn't want the US invading Florida and/or Texas. It also wanted the US to continue not helping Spanish American independence movements, and that may have been a secret understanding as part of the treaty. It is probable the the Spanish government was hoping or expecting to hold on the New Spain / Mexico at that point.

I am not sure what Mexican independence forces could do about Florida. Technically it had been part of the Viceroyalty of New Spain, as had Central America which also did not become part of Mexico.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
It is sort of odd that Spain ceded Florida in the Adams-Onis Treaty of 1819 in exchange for agreement on the borders between the US and New Spain shortly before agreeing to Mexican independence.

From Spain's point of view, it wanted to avoid war with the US and didn't want the US invading Florida and/or Texas. It also wanted the US to continue not helping Spanish American independence movements, and that may have been a secret understanding as part of the treaty. It is probable the the Spanish government was hoping or expecting to hold on the New Spain / Mexico at that point.

I am not sure what Mexican independence forces could do about Florida. Technically it had been part of the Viceroyalty of New Spain, as had Central America which also did not become part of Mexico.
Mexico was also part of this Viceroyalty, no?

Edratman

Forum Staff
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
Good grief. In the first decade following the end of the Mexican Revolution in 1821, Mexico was engaged in about a half dozen conflicts with native American tribes, a couple of minor revolutions, a conflict with France and all of Central and South America removing itself from the Mexican Empire. Florida was a pestilential swamp with no more than 30,000 non-native residents, no known mineral resources, about a thousand miles away without a contiguous land connection and Disney World wasn't even a fever dream.

If the Mexican government has a 1000 page agenda in 1831, I'm sure that Florida would not make the list.