Mexican claims on Florida

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Did it ever actually escalate into military action, though?

Also, how much less do you think that the population of the Southwestern US would have been right now had it remained a part of Mexico up to the present-day?

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
It is sort of odd that Spain ceded Florida in the Adams-Onis Treaty of 1819 in exchange for agreement on the borders between the US and New Spain shortly before agreeing to Mexican independence.

From Spain's point of view, it wanted to avoid war with the US and didn't want the US invading Florida and/or Texas. It also wanted the US to continue not helping Spanish American independence movements, and that may have been a secret understanding as part of the treaty. It is probable the the Spanish government was hoping or expecting to hold on the New Spain / Mexico at that point.

I am not sure what Mexican independence forces could do about Florida. Technically it had been part of the Viceroyalty of New Spain, as had Central America which also did not become part of Mexico.
The Philippines were also part of the Viceroyalty of New Spain and also were never part of Mexico.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Mexico getting Florida makes the Gulf of Mexico a well named Mexican "lake". No way the US was going to allow that after the Louisiana Purchase.
Sincerely I never heard nothing about any Mexican claim about Florida... Florida never belonged to Mexico but to Spain, included into the viceroy of New Spain (Mexico was a part New Spain..the large and most important.. but a part, not the whole).. New Spain spread from Cordoba in Alaska to Costa Rica through Lousiana, Florida, Philippines, Marianas, Carolinas, Palaos etc etc

About the future... I am not a Phytia... who knows the future? Maybe one day...Bolivia rule from Toronto to Tierra del Fuego.... or Brazil... or Burkina Faso...future is too much large to be understand for us....

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Sincerely I never heard nothing about any Mexican claim about Florida... Florida never belonged to Mexico but to Spain, included into the viceroy of New Spain (Mexico was a part New Spain..the large and most important.. but a part, not the whole).. New Spain spread from Cordoba in Alaska to Costa Rica through Lousiana, Florida, Philippines, Marianas, Carolinas, Palaos etc etc

About the future... I am not a Phytia... who knows the future? Maybe one day...Bolivia rule from Toronto to Tierra del Fuego.... or Brazil... or Burkina Faso...future is too much large to be understand for us....
Alaska?