Military aircraft that saw service throughout WWII in Europe

Sep 2012
Tarkington, Texas
Kevin, I was thinking that Hurricanes served on in the Red Air Force and maybe in the CBI. I assume they would have been more in Ground Attack modes (Hurricane II and Hurricane IV). To get more one might have to find an Osprey Publisher Book. I have not seen where the aircraft had been replaced in 1945.

Pruitt

Dec 2017
Poland
The Spitfire Mk 1

part of it genius was that it was continually update so that it remained a frontline fighter throughout the war
not sure of the final Mk but this is close

I accidentally saw Spitfire XVI bubbletop. This shape of wings was a shock to me. Why did this happen with his wings?

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Short Sunderlands, Fairey Battle, Fairey Fulmar, Bristol Beaufort, Bristol Beaufighter, Bristol Blenheim, Hawker Tempest, Hawker Typhoon.

Oct 2016
Merryland
didn't the ME 110 (two-engine bomber), FW 109 (fighter), Junkers 88 (two-engine bomber) and Stuka dive bomber (Junkers 87?) go through the war?
I don't think the Germans replaced any of their front line planes. they did add the ME-262 (jet) but only in small numbers.

the Italian SM-79 trimotor? (fought in the war after Italy left?)

Triceratops

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Late Cretaceous
Polikarpov I-16, saw action in the Spanish Civil War and was still in service in the Far East with the 888th Fighter Regiment until Summer 1945
Spanish 1-16 were retired in the early 50s.

Triceratops

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Late Cretaceous
This is on wiki:

As the Spitfire gained more power and was able to fly at greater speeds the risk of aileron reversal was increasing so the Supermarine design team set about redesigning the wings to counter this possibility. The original wing design had a theoretical aileron-reversal speed of 580 mph (930 km/h), which was somewhat lower than that of some contemporary fighters. The new wing of the Spitfire F Mk 21 and its successors was designed to help alleviate this problem; the wing's stiffness was increased by 47%, and a new design of aileron using piano hinges and geared trim tabs meant the theoretical aileron-reversal speed was increased to 825 mph (1,328 km/h).

The standard armament was now four 20mm Hispano IIs or the shorter, lighter Hispano V cannons, each with 150 rounds per gun.

This wing entered service on the Spitfire XXI.

There's more about wing design on the link:

Supermarine Spitfire (Griffon-powered variants) - Wikipedia

Reactions: Zbigniew

pikeshot1600

Ad Honorem
Jul 2009
So far I have not seen the Bell P-39 Airacobra (unless I missed it). This aircraft was especially effective on the Eastern Front where the Soviet air force used about half of the 9,500 planes built.

Here is a Wiki. Note the 37 mm cannon in the propeller hub.

Bell P-39 Airacobra - Wikipedia

The RAF tried the plane, but was not impressed as it was not a high altitude fighter aircraft. The Reds loved it. The tactical reality on the E.F. was nearly all at low to mid altitude air combat.

Last edited:

Triceratops

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Late Cretaceous
Coincidentally the 888th Fighter Regiment replaced their I-16s with P-63 Kingcobras in August 1945.