Military logistics to A.D. 1500, a very incomplete bibliography

Kirialax

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Blachernai
Some of my recent work has concerned pre-modern military logistics, and I thought that I'd share some of the bibliography that I have built up. This is primarily medieval and eastern Mediterranean, and heavily focused on scholarship written in English. I'd appreciate additions from anyone who has material from other times and places, particularly east and south Asia as well as works not written in English. While this is mostly military, a few entries on supplying cities have crept in. I've largely excluded material on transport containers, because once you start down the road of ancient and medieval ceramics, the literature expands rapidly.

Adams, Colin. Land Transport in Roman Egypt: A Study of Economics and Administration in a Roman Province. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2007.

Bachrach, Bernard. “Some Observations on Administration and Logistics of the Siege of Nicaea.” War in History 12, no. 3 (2005): 249–77.

———. “Some Observations on the Role of the Byzantine Navy in the Success of the First Crusade.” Journal of Medieval Military History 1 (2002): 83–100.

———. “The Fortification of Gaul and the Economy of the Third and Fourth Centuries.” Journal of Late Antiquity 3, no. 1 (2010): 38–64.

———. “William the Conqueror’s March on London: A Logisitical Analysis.” Viator 48, no. 2 (2017): 115–38.

Bachrach, Bernard S. “The Crusader March from Dorylaion to Herakleia, 4 July-ca. 2 September 1097.” In Shipping, Trade and Crusade in the Medieval Mediterranean: Studies in Honour of John Pryor, edited by Ruthy Gertwagen and Elizabeth Jeffreys, 231–54. Farnham: Ashgate, 2012.

Beresford, James. The Ancient Sailing Season. Leiden: Brill, 2012.

Christides, Vassilios. “The Second Arab Siege of Constantinople (717-718?): Logistics and Naval Power.” In Bibel, Byzance, und christlicher Orient: Festschrift für Stephen Gerö zum 65. Geburtstag, edited by D. Bumazhnov, E. Grypeou, T.B. Sailors, and A. Toepel, 511–34. Louven: Peeters, 2011.

Durliat, Jean. “L’approvisionnement de Constantinople.” In Constantinople and its Hinterland: Papers from the Twenty-seventh Spring Symposium of Byzantine Studies, Oxford, April 1993, edited by Cyril Mango and Gilbert Dagron, 19–33. Aldershot: Variorum, 1995.

Engels, Donald W. Alexander the Great and the Logistics of the Macedonian Army. Los Angeles: University of California Press, 1980.

Gambash, Gil. “Servicing the Mediterranean Empire: Non-state Actors and Maritime Logistics in Antiquity.” Mediterranean Studies 25, no. 1 (2017): 9–32.

Gillmor, Carroll M. “Naval logistics of the cross-channel operation, 1066.” Anglo-Norman Studies 7 (1984): 105–31.

———. “The logistics of fortified bridge building on the Seine under Charles the Bald.” Anglo-Norman Studies 11 (1989): 87–160.

Graham, Shawn. “Counting Bricks and Stacking Wood: Providing the Physical Fabric.” In The Cambridge Companion to Ancient Rome, edited by Paul Erdkamp, 278–96. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2013.

Haldon, John, ed. General Issues in the Study of Medieval Logistics: Sources, Problems And Methodologies. Leiden: Brill, 2005.

———. “Introduction. Why model logistical systems?” In General Issues in the Study of Medieval Logistics: Sources, Problems and Methodologies, edited by John Haldon, 1–35. Leiden: Brill, 2006.

———. “The Organisation and Support of an Expeditionary Force: Manpower and Logistics in the Middle Byzantine Period.” In Byzantium at War (9th - 12th c.), edited by Kostas Tsiknakis, 111–51. Athens: The National Hellenic Research Foundation, 1997.

Haldon, John, Georgios Theodoropoulos, and Phil Murgatroyd. “Marching across Anatolia: Medieval Logistics and Modeling the Mantzikert Campaign.” Dumbarton Oaks Papers 65/66 (2012 2011): 209–35.

Harpster, Matthew, and Nicholas Coureas. “Codex Palatinus Graecus 367: A Thirteenth-Century Method of Determining Vessel Burden?” The Mariner’s Mirror 94, no. 1 (2008): 8–20.

Jones, James Ellis. The Maritime Landscape of Roman Britain: Water Transport on the Coasts and Rivers of Britannia. Oxford: Archaeopress, 2012.

Junkelmann, Marcus. Panis militaris. Die Ernährung des römischen Soldaten oder der Grundstoff der Macht. Mainz: Verlag Philipp von Zabern, 1997.

Kaegi, Walter E. “Byzantine Logistics: Problems and Perspectives.” In Feeding Mars: Logistics in Western Warfare from the Middle Ages to the Present, edited by John A. Lynn, 39–55. Boulder, CO: Westview Press, 1993.

Koder, Johannes. “Fresh vegetables for the capital.” In Constantinople and its Hinterland: Papers from the Twenty-seventh Spring Symposium of Byzantine Studies, Oxford, April 1993, edited by Cyril Mango and Gilbert Dagron, 49–56. Aldershot: Ashgate, 1995.

———. Gemüse in Byzanz : die Versorgung Konstantinopels mit Frischgemüse im Lichte der Geoponika. Vienna: Fassbaender, 1993.

———. “Maritime Trade and the Food Supply for Constantinople in the Middle Ages.” In Travel in the Byzantine World, edited by Ruth Macrides, 109–24. Aldershot: Ashgate, 2002.

Creveld, Martin van. Supplying War: Logistics from Wallenstein to Patton. Cambridge: Cambridge, 1994.

Kondyli, Fotini. “The Logistics of a Union: The Travelling Arrangments and the Journey to Venice.” In Sylvester Syropoulos on Politics and Culture in the Fifteenth-Century Mediterranean: Themes and Problems in the Memoirs, Section IV, edited by Fotini Kondyli, Vera
Andriopoulou, Eirini Panou, and Mary B. Cunningham, 135–53. Farnham: Ashgate, 2014.

Kotycheva, Elena. “Logistics of the early Crusades in the Balkans on Via Militaris.” In Die Vielschichtigkeit der Straße: Kontinuität und Wandel in Mittelalter und früher Neuzeit, 209–32. Vienna: Verlag der österreichischen Akademie der Wissenschaften, 2012.

Lynn, John A. Feeding Mars: Logistics In Western Warfare From The Middle Ages To The Present. Boulder, CO: Westview Press, 1993.

Marin, Brigitte, and Catherine Virlouvet, eds. Nourrir les cités de Méditerranée : antiquité--temps modernes. Paris: Maisonneuve & Larose, 2003.

Murphey, Rhoades. “Provisioning Istanbul: The State and Subsistence in the Early Modern Middle East.” Food and Foodways 2 (1987): 217–63.

Murray, Alan V. “Finance and Logistics of the Crusade of Frederick Barbarossa.” In In Laudem Hierosolymitani: Studies in Crusades and Medieval Culture in Honour of Benjamin Z. Kedar, edited by Iris Shagrir, Ronnie Ellenblum, and Jonathan Riley-Smith, 357–68.
Aldershot: Ashgate, 2007.

Porath, J. “The water-supply of Caesarea: A reassessment.” In The Aqueducts of Israel, edited by D. Amit, Y. Hirschfeld, and J. Patrich, 104–29. Portsmout, RI: Journal of Roman Archaeology, 2002.

Pryor, John. “A Medieval Mediterranean Maritime Revolution: Crusading by Sea ca. 1096-1204.” In Maritime studies in the wake of the Byzantine shipwreck at Yassıada, Turkey, edited by Deborah B. Carlson, Justin Leidwanger, and Sarah M. Kampbell, 174–88. College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 2015.

Kirialax

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Blachernai
[pt 2, on account of character limit]

Pryor, John H. Geography, technology, and war: Studies in the maritime history of the Mediterranean 649-1571. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1988.

———. “Introduction: modelling Bohemond’s march to Thessalonikē.” In Logistics of Warfare in the Age of the Crusades: Proceedings of a Workshop held at the Centre for Medieval Studies, University of Sydney, 30 September to 4 October 2002, edited by John H. Pryor, 1–24. Aldershot: Ashgate, 2006.

Rizos, Efthymios. “Remarks on the logistics and infrastructure of the annona militaris in the eastern Mediterranean and the Aegean.” Antiquité Tardive 23 (2013): 17–32.

Rose, Susan. “Maritime Logistics and Edward I’s Military: What Can Be Learnt from the Surviving Documentation?” The Mariner’s Mirror 99, no. 4 (de): 388–97.

———. “Maritime Logistics and Edward I’s Military Campaigns: What can be learnt from the surviving documentation?” The Mariner’s Mirror 99, no. 4 (2013): 388–97.

Roth, Jonathan. The Logistics of the Roman Army at War (264 B.C. - A.D .235). Leiden: Brill, 1999.

Schilbach, Erich. Byzantinische Metrologie. Munich: C.H. Beck, 1970.

Sirks, B. “The Size of the Grain Distribution in Imperial Rome and Constantinople.” Athenaeum 79 (1991): 215–37.

Stathakopoulos, Dionysios. “Between the field and the plate: how agricultural products were processed into food.” In Eat, drink, and be merry (Luke 12: 19) - food and wine in Byzantium: papers of the 37th annual Spring Symposium of Byzantine Studies, in honour of Professor A.A.M. Bryer, edited by Leslie Brubaker and Kallirroe Linardou, 27–38. Aldershot: Ashgate, 2007.

Teall, John L. “The Grain Supply of the Byzantine Empire, 330-1025.” Dumbarton Oaks Papers 13 (1959): 87–139.

Tuck, Steven L. “The Tiber and river transport.” In The Cambridge Companion to Ancient Rome, edited by Paul Erdkamp, 229–45. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2013.

Tyerman, Christopher. How to plan a crusade: reason and religious war in the High Middle Ages. London: Allen Lane, 2015.

Van Doorninck, Jr., Frederick H. “The Metrology of the Piriform Amphoras from the Eleventh-Century Byzantine Ship at Serçe Limanι. New Designs but an Old System.” In Maritime Studies in the Wake of the Byzantine Shipwreck at Yassιada, Turkey, edited by Deborah N. Carlson, Justin Leidwanger, Sarah M. Kampbell, and George F. Bass, 35–54. College Station, TX: Texas A&M University Press, 2015.

Vaughn, Mark Kennedy. “‘Mount the War-Horses, Take your Lance in your Grip...’ Logistics Preparations for the Gascon Campaign of 1294.” In Thirteenth Century England VIII: Proceedings of the Durham Conference 1999, edited by Michael Prestwich, Richard Britnell, and Robin Frame, 97–111. Woodbridge: Boydell, 2001.

Zuckerman, Constantin. “On a bountiful harvest at Antioch in Pisidia (with special regard to the Byzantine modios and to the Mediterranean diet).” In Le saint, le moine et le paysan. Mélanges d’histoire byzantine offerts à Michel Kaplan, edited by Olivier Delouis, Sophie Métivier, and Paule Pagès, 731–52. Paris: Publications de la Sorbonne, 2016.

botully

Ad Honorem
Feb 2011
Amelia, Virginia, USA
I have a volume by Pryor not listed, Logistics of Warfare in the Age of the Crusades. Haldon, of course, has been prolific for many years and has written and edited dozens of books on Byzantine military history, including Byzantine Warfare, which contains a couple of papers on logistics.

Thanks for posting your bibliography. I sincerely appreciate it.

Kirialax

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Blachernai
I have a volume by Pryor not listed, Logistics of Warfare in the Age of the Crusades. Haldon, of course, has been prolific for many years and has written and edited dozens of books on Byzantine military history, including Byzantine Warfare, which contains a couple of papers on logistics.

Thanks for posting your bibliography. I sincerely appreciate it.
Thanks! The Pryor volume is a particularly egregious sin on my part, since I've read all the papers from it. Haldon's paper on De Ceremoniis in one of the older Travaux et Mémoires volumes should also be on here, since it deals extensively with the administration behind the logistics and their archiving processes. And I completely forgot about that Byzantine Warfare volume, expensive collection of re-printed essays that it is...

Similar History Discussions