Military Quotes

Isleifson

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Lorraine tudesque
It's a certainly that he did not he denied it vigorously.

It's quite likely no one said it. That a dead General's family wanted to claim it is not a great case that anyone did.
The conventianal wisdom in french academia is that we don't know who said it. You seem to know better.

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
"No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy" — Helmut von Moltke Sr.

"It takes 10 000 casualties to train a Général de brigade" — Ferdinand Foch

"Remember gentlemen, fire kills" — Philippe Pétain

"Two artillery pieces, properly positioned, are always more useful than twenty out of place" — FM Lennart Torstensson

"He who raises an army, and then keeps it inside the borders of his own realm, is effectively making war upon himself" — Johan Skytte, member of Gustav II Adolph's council

Sep 2017
United States
“It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, more vengeance, more desolation. War is hell.”- Sherman

"My men fight just as well stinking of perfume."-Caesar

"Only one as incompetent as him would've caught us in the perfect ambush and yet still f*cked it up enough to get slaughtered"- me :D

May 2018
Michigan
Something I told my men, when I was in the Army:

"Army regulations are important: they provide a universal standard to which we are all held. They are the foundation of our institution. But, when the bullets are flying, and Hadji has murder in his eyes, who grabs you by the 'Oh **** strap' (a strap on the back of our body armor which can be used to pull a soldier to safety) and drags your ass to cover? Army regulations, or the man next to you? Whatever your answer is to that question, is whom you owe your first loyalty to."