Military Vehicles, Good and Not So Good

May 2011
Navan, Ireland
Mussolini and the Fascist regime had a curios conception of "armored division". This picture has become proverbial in Italy.

The Tankette was a popular 'theory' in military circles in the 1920/30's and many countries used them especially Italy and Japan.

One of my favourites the British 'Bren gun Carrier'.

but its not a 'Tankette' and wasn't supposed to be since its proper name is the 'Universal Carrier' and that's what it was supposed to be. I have several times had to role my eyes in frustration as some one at a military museum points out the pathetic little tank the British equipped themselves with in 1940!

It was actually a very good and versatile bit of kit-- each regiment was supposed to have a platoon of them in 1940 and their jobs as simply a 'dogsbody' some recon but supply of ammunition to forward units on a 'hot' battlefield, move heavy weapon teams in the same environment etc-- later in the war flamethrower teams used them-- glad of even a little bit of armoured protection.

Christopher Furness used them as Tanks in 1940 (a rich aristocrat -- personnel friend of the Prince of Wales and very much a 'society' man) and was duly killed.

A stupid English aristocrat?--No he actually told a friend who talked about his 'little tank' that anyone who thought it such was a 'bloody fool' , he used it as a tank (successfully) as a last desperate attempt to cover the withdrawal of his regiment and was last seen next to the wreck of his carrier telling his men to get out of their and firing a bren from the hip--he was awarded the VC.

Last edited:
Jun 2012
Brazil
Tairusiano, don't those units look comical to us today? I read somewhere that Brazil imported a bunch of M3 Stuart tanks, which weren't much use to the allies but were a significant upgrade for Brazil.
They are an interesting experience, maybe not very powerful but interesting, now on M3 are you talking about WW2?
In this war Brazil was part of lend-lease we received, M3 stuart, Grant, and Sherman, although the Stuart was not very powerful in south america of the 40's there were no competition, but a side note, the tanks Brazil received were not sent to fight with the Brazilian army in Italy, because they were deployed to the border of Argentina to be used in case Argentina allied with the Axis, to attack Brazil.

May 2011
Navan, Ireland

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
I'd never heard of the Valiant tank before - seemingly only two were built according to this video and it was the worst ever tank:

No, it was the worst tank ever considered for service by the British army.

Unlike the woeful Covenentar which had 1000 units go into production and still turns up in ditches and swamps round Britain where the crews ditched them in training.

We never let it go beyond trials.

Believe me, other nations fields equal pieces of junk

Oct 2016
Merryland
WWII Vehicle Hall of Fame

in rough chronological order

5) Panzer IV. dominant tank of the war's early years. Poland, Low Countries, France, Greece. couldn't cross that channel though.

4) Soviet T-34 Tank. the krauts never expected this kind of opposition. quick, tough, hard-hitting. the tank that won the war.

3) Sherman M4 tank. one Sherman might not have been that impressive, but 49,000 were a game changer. and how about those variants--Flamethrower Sherman, Bulldozer Sherman for those pesky hedgerows, anti-mine Flail Sherman...

2) Universal Carrier, aka Bren Gun Carrier. From Burma to Benghazi, his majesty's forces found this puppy most useful. 'Most produced armored vehicle in history'.

1) GMC 'Deuce and a Half' Truck. the backbone of the 'Red Ball Express', one of the few times in history a support unit gets recognized. Notable for utilizing many African-American drivers.

Last edited:
Jul 2016
USA
WWII Vehicle Hall of Fame

in rough chronological order

5) Panzer IV. dominant tank of the war's early years. Poland, Low Countries, France, Greece. couldn't cross that channel though.
Not dominant until 1943-44. For Poland, France, and Barbarossa it was issued in small numbers and used used for infantry support with its short barreled, low velocity 75mm gun. The most used model of tank in 1940-41 was the MK II, with the upgunned 50mm version of the MK III only really coming into service in large numbers in 1942.

As the MK III proved unsatisfactory, the MK IV was upgunned and more armor was added to turn it into a medium tank capable of fighting other tanks, specifically Soviet and American. It can be said to have become the workhorse of the German army as more of them were made and they were more reliable than the Panther, so even in 1944, about half or more tanks in a Panzer regiment were usually upgunned MK IVs.

Similar History Discussions