Ming restoration in 1912

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
After the Qing fell from power in 1912, there was a movement that proposed the restoration of the Ming dynasty and crowning of Zhu Yuxun, the Marquis of Extended Grace and the descendant of the Ming emperors. This never happened, but what if it did? Would this restored Ming survive? There were groups of people that would have definitely opposed the restoration, groups like the republicans and of course Yuan Shikai would probably be opposed as well. Would the majority of the Chinese people even support this? I know that one of the famous anti-Qing slogans was "oppose the Qing, restore the Ming" , but I never really saw this slogan as a real expression of Ming loyalism, but rather a slogan that deliberately invoked the memories of an earlier, Qing-free age. There was a branch of the Chinese Royalist Party that would have accepted any restoration of the monarchy, therefore this branch might have supported the Ming, but there was another branch that pushed for the restoration of the Qing and Qing only. This hypothetical Ming restoration would have been quite unprecedented in history because a dynasty would have returned to power centuries after losing it. I don't think this restored Ming had any chance of survival, but it is fun to speculate.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
IMHO, a lot would depend on whether this restored Ming Dynasty would have the support of the Chinese military. Of course, the Ming did have one advantage over the Qing--AFAIK, unlike the Manchu Qing, the Ming were ethnically (Han) Chinese.

Mar 2012
There are no evidence the popular masses was ever opposed to the Qing. The amount of people refusing to cut their queue after the Qing fell is a good example. The Xinhai's idea of Han nationalism never gained mainstream even after the Qing fell. If people opposed Yuan for declaring himself emperor, there is no reason at all anyone would choose a person whose only criteria to rule is being the descendant of a previous dynasty.

Jun 2013
ca
be: tradition, no however, restoration did happen. examples are the han and tang.the latter being descendant of a previous dynasty during the north/south division period

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
ma: I am aware of the wikipedia list. however, it is incomplete esp. regarding the earlier generations. hence the question
Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a full family tree, perhaps there are some sources in Chinese that show this family tree.

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
"In 1929, Zhu Yuxun petitioned the National government of the Republic of China for help since he was living in destitution and said he could no longer carry out his duties. The government abolished his title as Marquis and paid him a stipend instead. In 1933, the government totally terminated all of his duties in carrying out ceremonies at the Ming tombs and totally ended his position. After that, nothing is known about what happened to Zhu Yuxun."

That's rather sad! No more ceremonies as the Ming tombs and no more Marquis.