Minoan Origins.

Feb 2011
Kitchener. Ont.
The first advanced Bronze Age civilization of Europe was established by the Minoans about 5,000 years before present. Since Sir Arthur Evans exposed the Minoan civic centre of Knossos, archaeologists have speculated on the origin of the founders of the civilization. Evans proposed a North African origin; Cycladic, Balkan, Anatolian and Middle Eastern origins have also been proposed. Here we address the question of the origin of the Minoans by analysing mitochondrial DNA from Minoan osseous remains from a cave ossuary in the Lassithi plateau of Crete dated 4,400–3,700 years before present. Shared haplotypes, principal component and pairwise distance analyses refute the Evans North African hypothesis. Minoans show the strongest relationships with Neolithic and modern European populations and with the modern inhabitants of the Lassithi plateau. Our data are compatible with the hypothesis of an autochthonous development of the Minoan civilization by the descendants of the Neolithic settlers of the island.
A European population in Minoan Bronze Age Crete : Nature Communications : Nature Publishing Group

Midas

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Scandinavia, Balkans, Anatolia, Hatay

Midas

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
If it is 3,700 then the remains may well be of Dorians
There is no such things as Dorians in 1700 B.C. Archaeologically speaking (See Karamitrou-Mentesidi 2008), the ancestors of that group of Greek speakers might have been diverging from the rest around 1500 B.C. The Mycenaean tablets do not show any Dorian dialect.

Generally, the results of that research point to an Anatolian origin and not a group of people who followed the Proto-Indo-European route down to Greece. Those people possesed haplogroups native to Anatolia and the southern Balkans (Greece, Albanian, Bulgaria), not haplogroups that enriched the Helladic region after the 3rd millenium B.C.

Apr 2013
Palace of Knossos
There is no such things as Dorians in 1700 B.C. Archaeologically speaking (See Karamitrou-Mentesidi 2008), the ancestors of that group of Greek speakers might have been diverging from the rest around 1500 B.C. The Mycenaean tablets do not show any Dorian dialect.

Generally, the results of that research point to an Anatolian origin and not a group of people who followed the Proto-Indo-European route down to Greece. Those people possesed haplogroups native to Anatolia and the southern Balkans (Greece, Albanian, Bulgaria), not haplogroups that enriched the Helladic region after the 3rd millenium B.C.
from what I know, the Dorian invasions and migrations started after 2000 BC so yes there were Dorians in 1700 BC

Midas

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
from what I know, the Dorian invasions and migrations started after 2000 BC so yes there were Dorians in 1700 BC
Not south to Crete though. These migrations you refer to are related with the upper Macedonian bronze age and Pindus. Crete receives Doric speakers much later than the mainland migrations.

In any case, if you read the DNA results refer to populations that arrives in the island 9000 YBP. The Minoan civilization is refered as native to the island, not of some north African or Balkanic migration.

Now, what is interesting with this study is that the Lasithiotae are direct descendands of those populations. I was expecting them to be very close, but damn almost nothing changed all those years.

Another important thing about this study is that it is a mtDNA study. The latest Y-DNA study (King et al) showed that the ancestors of the Minoans arrived in the island 9000YBP from the Anatolian plateau. Now, you get a second confirmation on that by the maternal DNA. Or at least that they were from the western Asia Minor. For me, that is the most valuable point given by this study.

Feb 2013
Coastal Florida
I just got around to reading that article...very interesting. However, I wanna know who thought it was a good idea to develop the concept of "before present." Every time I see a BP or a BC, I always read it as the opposite, whichever one they wrote! :zany:

Reis

Ad Honorem
Apr 2010
Although slightly off topic I have a question for some of our friends well versed on this topic.
Why Crete? Why did these people become a great civilization but not the ones in Cyprus for example?
Usually there are geographic reasons for such civilizations Tigris and Euphrates for Anatolia and Mesopotamia , Nile for egypt, the Yellow river and the Yangtze for china etc.What is the reason for Crete?

Apr 2013
Palace of Knossos
Although slightly off topic I have a question for some of our friends well versed on this topic.
Why Crete? Why did these people become a great civilization but not the ones in Cyprus for example?
Usually there are geographic reasons for such civilizations Tigris and Euphrates for Anatolia and Mesopotamia , Nile for egypt, the Yellow river and the Yangtze for china etc.What is the reason for Crete?
It wasn't only Crete, but various other islands in the Aegean. I imagine that commerce with other developed areas like Egypt helped them prosper, also the fact that they are based on islands made wars and barbarian invasions more rare than other mainland civilizations.

Similar History Discussions