Minoan Origins.

Feb 2013
Coastal Florida
I didn't know about those. I know that there are a lot of seasonal sanctuaries, that were used in the summer in order to get a cooler climate. One should check the Zominthos excavasions for such an example.
What I'm talking about is different...the sites are literally on mountain peaks with paths that are difficult to find. They seem to have been truly hidden. The last time I saw something about them was when I was researching the labrys a while back. Let me look...

Feb 2013
Coastal Florida
Ah...here we go! Minoan [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_sanctuaries"]Minoan Peak Sanctuaries[/ame]. That's a start. I think one of those documentaries I watched might have been online...I'll look for it too. If you do a search, "peak sanctuary" seems to be the term. They really haven't been excavated near as well as other sites and will need a lot more work before the experts have it all figured out.

Last edited:

Midas

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Scandinavia, Balkans, Anatolia, Hatay
Ah...here we go! Minoan Minoan Peak Sanctuaries. That's a start. I think one of those documentaries I watched might have been online...I'll look for it too. If you do a search, "peak sanctuary" seems to be the term.
It could be also the posts used for communication. Minoans had an extremely fast way to communicate with each other using somekind of mountain-top lighhouse. Appart from that, there is a Cretan cult regarding the birth of Zeus in the mountain top of Ida. That would explain the religious function they had.

Feb 2013
Coastal Florida
It could be also the posts used for communication. Minoans had an extremely fast way to communicate with each other using somekind of mountain-top lighhouse. Appart from that, there is a Cretan cult regarding the birth of Zeus in the mountain top of Ida. That would explain the religious function they had.
The lighthouse thing is interesting...I hadn't heard that before. These definitely had a religious function...they were found with all sorts of figurines and whatnot in them. I'm looking for that documentary but haven't found it yet. I wish I had bookmarked it. I remember they were showing one that had an entire village on the mountain peak with room for like a couple hundred people.

Feb 2013
Coastal Florida
I can't find. It's probably been several years since I watched it. Either it's not online anymore or I'll run into again one of these days when I'm looking for something else.

May 2013
usa
It wasn't only Crete, but various other islands in the Aegean. I imagine that commerce with other developed areas like Egypt helped them prosper, also the fact that they are based on islands made wars and barbarian invasions more rare than other mainland civilizations.
Are you sure they weren't the civilized sea raiders? lol

Jul 2010
Not sure what it is
It wasn't only Crete, but various other islands in the Aegean. I imagine that commerce with other developed areas like Egypt helped them prosper, also the fact that they are based on islands made wars and barbarian invasions more rare than other mainland civilizations.
I think the robust Minoan fleet probably had just as much to do with it than Minoans being on an island.

Sep 2014
Texas
My only input is this, the Minoans had horses which were domesticated by the IndoEuropeans who also invented the chariot . Either the Minoans were IE and took them to Crete or they traded with IEs like the Hittites or Mittani.

Similar History Discussions