Modern little known musical gems

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Known as the writer of better known songs (Stone Soul Picnic, When I Die, etc) she recorded all her songs herself accompanied by her piano playing and then sold then to other artists who made them hits. Not enough people have heard her perform. I like this lesser known one with its jazz influenced piano work.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
This was the first song Laura Nyro successfully sold. She was 17. Peter Paul and Mary recorded it and it was a major hit. Later Three Dog Night also successfully recorded it. Her father discovered it while she was writing it and was aghast that his teen age daughter was writing a song about death. He forbade her from selling it. Of course she sold it anyway and later made her own recording which I find better than that of the stars who made the song famous.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
One reason I'm giving some space to Laura Nyro is that is that she is so underrated. Like many, I've heard all of her most popular songs without knowing she was the songwriter. In fact I never heard of her until I saw her on a list of the best female nonclassical pianists few years ago. I knew every name on the list except hers. She did get into the R&R hall of fame a few years after her premature death of cancer at age 49, but many present asked "Laura who?" She kept her own advice: "All I ask of living is there be no chains on me." from "And When I Die". She kept a low profile and walked away from fame but her fans included the elite of popular music. See "Legacy" in this Wikipedia article.

Laura Nyro - Wikipedia

This song was the key to Barbra Streisand's comeback in the 1970s.

Last edited: