Monuments you hold the dearest

Solidaire

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Athens, Greece
Its still a ruin. If you build something, then it gets destroyed, and its still destroyed but a little work is done to it to some day restore it, then its not rebuilt. Its still a piece of crap ruin. Maybe after a some tens of billions of euros they'll have it looking spiffy again. But it'll never be the Parthenon again, it'll just be a rebuild partial copy of it. The real one was destroyed, gone, never coming back. The cool stuff inside, gone, never coming back. The intricate art and carvings that can't be known, gone, never coming back.

Greece should get over it too, and unless they know full well a completely restored Parthenon will massively increase tourism, to increase commerce and income to fix their crap economy, then they should spend their money wiser.
It's not about the tourist money, it's about the soul of the people who call themselves Greeks. We love this monument, why is this so hard to understand? People all over the world do love monuments, you might not understand it, but please respect those that do.

You might prefer to view things through a practical lens, but not everyone interprets life solely this way (not saying that you do). We like to tend to the old decrepit lady that Parthenon is, see the best for her. She's part of our family, at least for us Athenians. We don't see the crappy ruins that you mention, we see a wounded monument that radiates ancient Greek civilisation.

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA
It's not about the tourist money, it's about the soul of the people who call themselves Greeks. We love this monument, why is this so hard to understand? People all over the world do love monuments, you might not understand it, but please respect those that do.

You might prefer to view things through a practical lens, but not everyone interprets life solely this way (not saying that you do). We like to tend to the old decrepit lady that Parthenon is, see the best for her. She's part of our family, at least for us Athenians. We don't see the crappy ruins that you mention, we see a wounded monument that radiates ancient Greek civilisation.
You've never seen the monument, its ruins.

This whole thing seems overly emotional to me. People cry over an old building being partially destroyed. Same people proud of a totally destroyed building.

I'm going to be sentimental too. I don't see a burnt out cathedral in Paris, I see the very symbol of toxic Church behavior, of God smiting symbols of the wicked for not policing their own, specifcally child molesting priests.

Do I feel better with the emotional outburst? No. Because as I write this, an active priest who already got caught once diddling kids and who was moved to another parish is now diddling another kid. So what am I left with? Nothing, an old building burnt down, partially.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
When I visited the Tower or London, the thing that struck me most wasn't the Tower itself, but rather, in some of the side towers, where prisoners were kept, there is graffiti etched into the stone by the people who were imprisoned there. It's kind of a bit eerie to read a very personal message from a long dead prisoner.

Same thing with Nene's Walk in Kyoto, a street that leads to one of the mountain temples. The outer walls of the buildings along the street are covered in etched graffiti which must date from the Edo period. I couldn't make out a lot of it, but most of it probably says something like "Hiroki has a big ****". :)

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
You're really wrecking this thread by infesting it in this way, just go away if you have no love for old buildings!

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Thank You.

It's a magnificient example of how a small cut can transform one into it's oposite.

I like it.
I''m sure even if you kept telling them you didn't care about cricket, they would still deign to educate you and help you expand your mind. You see, cricket fans are nice like that. What they are unlikely to do is kick you out or want to know what you were doing there.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
You're really wrecking this thread by infesting it in this way, just go away if you have no love for old buildings!
I think we can respect each others' points of view, no?

On an unrelated point, I wonder if we can appreciate certain buildings more as ruins rather than as restorations.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
I''m sure even if you kept telling them you didn't care about cricket, they would still deign to educate you and help you expand your mind. You see, cricket fans are nice like that. What they are unlikely to do is kick you out or want to know what you were doing there.
If it isn't too personal (if it is, don't respond, I'll understand): are You a cricket fan?

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
If it isn't too personal (if it is, don't respond, I'll understand): are You a cricket fan?
I am, and if you wish to tell me you don't care about cricket, I will happily educate you - by sitting you in front of a 5 day Test match, taping your eyes open and explaining the glory of the game to you.