Monuments you hold the dearest

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
It really depends on how You look at it.

Rebuilding is not about putting back the bricks were they were before. It's about rising back. About not kneeling. About not accepting savagery. Continuing being Yourself.

I agree absolutely about that, for places like Warsaw and Dresden rebuilding in that way was the only response, and it is wholly admirable. (But I do find that rebuilt places that I have visited have a weird feeling.)

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Yes, I agree entirely. Pity really, but it is what it is.

There seems to be an opposing trend growing though - I see signs of "no smartphones" in Museums I've been going to lately, which is something anyway.

I like the Low countries. Never been to Belgium, but I loved the way Holland looked and felt when I was there. I felt at home somehow. I should go to Ghent then!
I can really recommend Ghent, my favourite city in the low countries, I don't know why it is not better known (but a good thing too that it isn't). Flanders is generally an enjoyable place to visit because everyone is so friendly and the food is good too. Bruges is an archetypal tourist city I suppose, but it is exceedingly beautiful, best visited in spring before the crowds come.

Vintersorg

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Belgium
For me, it would have to be the basilica of Saint Martin in my hometown of Halle, Belgium.
People from Halle, regardless of their beliefs, have always been proud of our basilica:

Editiepajot_halle_basiliek_foto_merckx.jpg
Editiepajot_halle_basiliek_fotomerckx.jpg

There's also the castle of Beersel, next to Halle.
It's not as beautiful or important as the basilica, but I love it anyway

beersel.jpeg

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
I can really recommend Ghent, my favourite city in the low countries, I don't know why it is not better known (but a good thing too that it isn't). Flanders is generally an enjoyable place to visit because everyone is so friendly and the food is good too. Bruges is an archetypal tourist city I suppose, but it is exceedingly beautiful, best visited in spring before the crowds come.
Low countries are a real treasure if one manages to get out of the "normal" tourist approach. "POI", "must see", that is.

Long ago, when kids were small, I used to get everyone in the car, and after a couple of km, I asked when closing to a crossing: "which way? Left, right, straight ahead?". Totally unplanned, totally random. Invariably, after 10-15-20km, we we're discovering something worth seeing.

A bit like the difference between Paris and Brussels: Paris has a spectacular area, that Brussels hasn't. But once You're out of that area in Paris, there's practically nothing. Almost everything concentrates in that area. Brussels on the other hand, has small beauties all over the place, often in the most unexpected places. Beauty disseminated vs beauty concentrated.

Vintersorg's post is a perfect example: who the heck have heard of Halle or Berseel? Tho his two monuments are more than worth seeing.

Solidaire

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Athens, Greece
Flanders is on my to visit list - when time and money allow it. Ghent, Bruges, Leuven, Antwerp...

There's also the castle of Beersel, next to Halle.
It's not as beautiful or important as the basilica, but I love it anyway

View attachment 18152
This somewhat peculiar castle gives me a strange urge to have something placed between its towers, as if something went missing and needs to be put back in its place. Preferably a large, round sphere. :think:
1555595519014.png

Solidaire

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Athens, Greece
The monument dearest to me is the Acropolis of Athens (as might have been expected). Aside from its significance as a symbol of ancient Greece, it's a landmark that has accompanied much of my personal life, the background of many pleasant strolls, discussions, and company with loved ones. The rocky hill on which the Acropolis is built is not the tallest of the many Athenian hills, but it lies in the heart of its historic centre. Around it is a large area of natural greenery (mostly pines and olives, serving as a natural getaway park), the ancient Agora, the temple of Hephaistos in it (which is preserved in a pretty good condition), the Roman Agora, the Pnyx (where the Athenian assembly was gathering to practice democracy), the Areios Pagos (where trials were being held), the Odeon of Herodes Atticus (a Roman theatre that still hosts excellent performances on a regular basis), and a multitude of many, many other historical buildings that mark the millennia old history of Athens. Sprawled around the Acropolis in the picturesque districts of Plaka, Monastiraki and Thiseio, and amidst innumerable restaurants, cafes and tavernas, are medieval Byzantine temples, an Ottoman Mosque, Roman monuments, and of course, ancient Greek ones.

The Parthenon, dedicated to the patron goddess of ancient Athens, Athena, dominates the Acropolis
1555765535369.png

The Parthenon today, and as it would probably have looked in antiquity.

Erechtheion, a temple adjacent to Parthenon, dedicated to Poseidon and Athena. The porch of the Caryatids.
1555763039587.png

View from the side of Propylaia, the entrance to the Acropolis.
1555765201416.png

1555765305341.png

1555763780382.png

1555764963657.png

It's not just me and most Athenians that have a soft spot for the Acropolis ans the historic centre that it overlooks. Parrots that have escaped captivity seem to prefer it too (as I said, there are a lot of trees in the area), forming thriving colonies! I've seen many of them in the ancient Agora, where one might expect the native sparrows or pigeons. :D
1555770927623.png

Attachments