More details about WW2

Feb 2019
Berlin
Hello guys, I am big fan of WW2 and every time when I find some free time I am researching for new interesting und unknown stories. Anybody knows any good website or video/place where I can find some interesting stories/details about ww2?

Feb 2019
Berlin
Yea, I found a lot of documentaries but not really what I am looking for. Few months ago I sow on German tv one serial showing every detail, almost every hour of WW2 day by day, I think they did like few days per episode but with amazing amount of interesting informations. Since than I am looking online for that show, but I cannot find it.

Nov 2015
Kyiv
There is a wonderful Russian site with memories of war veterans. There is now an English version, too

I REMEMBER - I REMEMBER

This is a separate project, and the memories were mostly recorded initially like an interview. Basically there are the military of the Red Army, but there are also memories of the veterans of the Wehrmacht, Hungarians, Romanians and veterans of other armies. Unfortunately, I do not see this foreign part of the site in the English version.

All these memories are recorded relatively recently and are almost free from the harsh censorship that was in such memoirs in Soviet times. There are many interesting episodes, as well as part of the memories of pre-war times

Russian version of the site has the following sections:

CREWS OF SELF-PROPELLED GUN
FIGHTER PILOTS
PILOTS OF IL-2 Shturmovik
PILOTS -BOMBERS
GROUND CREWS
INTELLIGENCE
ARTILLERYMEN
HMG ("KATYUSHA")
AA GUNNERS
MEDICS
MORTAR MEN
INFANTRYMEN
MACHINE GUNNERS
SNIPERS
COMMS MEN
RED FLEET MEN
PARATROOPERS
SAPPERS
NKVD and SMERSH
CAVALRYMEN
DRIVERS
PARTISANS
CIVILIANS
OTHER TROOPS

Last edited:
Dec 2017
-------
There is a wonderful Russian site with memories of war veterans. There is now an English version, too

I REMEMBER - I REMEMBER

This is a separate project, and the memories were mostly recorded initially like an interview. Basically there are the military of the Red Army, but there are also memories of the veterans of the Wehrmacht, Hungarians, Romanians and veterans of other armies. Unfortunately, I do not see this foreign part of the site in the English version.

All these memories are recorded relatively recently and are almost free from the harsh censorship that was in such memoirs in Soviet times. There are many interesting episodes, as well as part of the memories of pre-war times

Russian version of the site has the following sections:

CREWS OF SELF-PROPELLED GUN
FIGHTER PILOTS
PILOTS OF IL-2 Shturmovik
PILOTS -BOMBERS
GROUND CREWS
INTELLIGENCE
ARTILLERYMEN
HMG ("KATYUSHA")
AA GUNNERS
MEDICS
MORTAR MEN
INFANTRYMEN
MACHINE GUNNERS
SNIPERS
COMMS MEN
RED FLEET MEN
PARATROOPERS
SAPPERS
NKVD and SMERSH
CAVALRYMEN
DRIVERS
PARTISANS
CIVILIANS
OTHER TROOPS
Dir! Tatiana Alekseevich wrote a book "У войны не женское лицо". She interviewed around 1,500 women in late 70s and early 80s receiving many prizes for the book : У войны не женское лицо — Википедия
Few years ago she was awarded Noble Prize in literature.
She recorded the stories on tape. The stories told by girls and women participated taking part in war in which not everyone was a hero. There were documentary and theatre productions based on her book. The book is translated into several languages including En glish. I recommend it.

---

The unwomanly face of war (English title) : The Unwomanly Face of War : Svetlana Alexievich : 9780141983530
The picture on the front cover of the book features Ukrainian most successful sniper Lyudmila Pavlichenko. She accounted for 309 enemies. : The Unwomanly Face of War : Svetlana Alexievich : 9780141983530

---

'A must read' - Margaret Atwood

'It would be hard to find a book that feels more important or original' - Viv Groskop, Observer

Extraordinary stories from Soviet women who fought in the Second World War - from the winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature

"Why, having stood up for and held their own place in a once absolutely male world, have women not stood up for their history? Their words and feelings? A whole world is hidden from us. Their war remains unknown... I want to write the history of that war. A women's history."

In the late 1970s, Svetlana Alexievich set out to write her first book, The Unwomanly Face of War, when she realized that she grew up surrounded by women who had fought in the Second World War but whose stories were absent from official narratives. Travelling thousands of miles, she spent years interviewing hundreds of Soviet women - captains, tank drivers, snipers, pilots, nurses and doctors - who had experienced the war on the front lines, on the home front and in occupied territories. As it brings to light their most harrowing memories, this symphony of voices reveals a different side of war, a new range of feelings, smells and colours.

After completing the manuscript in 1983, Alexievich was not allowed to publish it because it went against the state-sanctioned history of the war. With the dawn of Perestroika, a heavily censored edition came out in 1985 and it became a huge bestseller in the Soviet Union - the first in five books that have established her as the conscience of the twentieth century.

Last edited: