More than 20 killed in Papua New Guinea massacre

Jul 2019
New Jersey
Terrible. It's astounding how remote these areas are and how barbaric the tribal customs are. It just goes to show what civilization (Western, Islamic, and East Asian) have succeeded in eradicating in most of the world.

Reactions: Futurist

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA
Terrible. It's astounding how remote these areas are and how barbaric the tribal customs are. It just goes to show what civilization (Western, Islamic, and East Asian) have succeeded in eradicating in most of the world.
LOL, these New Guinea tribesmen need to step it up if they want to compete with advanced civilizations. 20 killed, those are rookie numbers.

List of wars by death toll

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
I've heard that Port Moresby was (is?) a notoriously dangerous city due to gang activity and slums ( familiar theme from some Latin American and Subsaharan African metropolises too, probably the social causes can be similar), but I guess here the reasons could be different as it occured in the country-side. Though I have no idea what could be the cause, how prevalent is this in rural PNG, are these due to competiton for resources, a legacy of past ethnic or tribal conflicts, or they are also infected with drug and alcohol abuse and is it related to that?
It is on the other side of the world, so I hope someone can enlighten us who is familiar with that corner of the world

Reactions: macon and Futurist

Tercios Espanoles

Ad Honorem
Mar 2014
Beneath a cold sun, a grey sun, a Heretic sun...
Been to Syria lately?

Reactions: Futurist
Mar 2019
Kansas
Though I have no idea what could be the cause, how prevalent is this in rural PNG, are these due to competiton for resources, a legacy of past ethnic or tribal conflicts, or they are also infected with drug and alcohol abuse and is it related to that?
No it tends to be the usual issues. Past grievances, resources etc etc, at least in the highlands. Cant speak for Moresby. The introduction of guns to these conflicts is disturbing though. In the late 70s and early 80s the tribal conflicts still tended to be as much ritualistic as anything and mostly relied on traditional weapons.

Reactions: Futurist and Tulun