More than half of new PhDs in the US are bogus

Apr 2018
Canada
I had heard of these degrees for sale.Although increasingly real work experience whether volunteer and/or paid in the applicant's chosen field carries much more weight than a piece of paper.

Then there are the "students" and i use this term loosely who prefer to have someone write their bachelors masters and doctoral papers for them.I read a story about one guy who makes good money writing papers for alleged university students for any topic under the sun.In an article in the readers digest he anonymously recounted his ongoing career and quoted a mid twenties student's text messages that more accurately belong to an elementary school kid.

As unethical as it is to buy a degree and pose as a qualified professional in a given field it is no less so to simply pay your way through the upper echelons of university.

I don't blame the guy at all.There is a demand and he supplies a service as long as you are discreet.What happens to the payee later in life is their problem.I imagine that employers will find out these individual's inadequacy and incompetence in short order.

Jan 2019
Finland
Her image had also a great political value, easy to spend on medias. I guess this is why some political environments simply considered her a kind of female Messiah. And actually the world of communication missed a female genius with a nice face able to start a greaat technological business ... We should remind that we live in the world of image and communication where how you say something is substantially more important of what you're saying ...
That was my impression too, she was this brilliant young female entrepreneur, the next Steve Jobs and a lot of people wanted that to be true, more so than wanting her blood testing machine to work. In all the stories I recall the blood testing machine was more on the background while she and her societal significance was the focus of the stories.

Jun 2017
maine
I don't blame the guy at all.
While I agree with you that this sort of thing is going on and I agree that it is unethical, I DO blame the guy. Plagiarism is a crime--and, to anyone who writes & publishes--a serious crime. The person who turns out this material is an Accessory Before the Fact who is profiting by setting others up for serious trouble: there are plagiarism-checkers available (some for free online). Publishers use them and it is only a matter of time before educational institutions do so too.

Mar 2015
Europe
While I agree with you that this sort of thing is going on and I agree that it is unethical, I DO blame the guy. Plagiarism is a crime--and, to anyone who writes & publishes--a serious crime. The person who turns out this material is an Accessory Before the Fact who is profiting by setting others up for serious trouble: there are plagiarism-checkers available (some for free online). Publishers use them and it is only a matter of time before educational institutions do so too.
Those plagiarism checkers are designed to catch works previously published, republished under a new name.
They do nothing to catch ghostwriting - original works written to be published once under a wrong name.
For writers and publishers, pseudonyms and ghostwriters are not civil wrongs, let alone crimes.
Plagiarism checkers would work if the ghostwriter sells the same work to multiple buyers.