Moscow airport plane fire: At least 41 people killed in Aeroflot crash landing

Dec 2015
USA
Prayers are with Russia. We have recently seen a # of planes go down in the past few years. What can be done to prevent these types of tragedies?

Moscow airport plane fire: At least 41 people killed in Aeroflot crash landing

(CNN)At least 41 people on board a Russian passenger jet were killed, including two children, after the aircraft crash-landed at a Moscow airport on Sunday, bursting into flames on impact.

Aeroflot flight SU 1492 skidded down the runway at Moscow's Sheremetyevo airport, its rear section ablaze and spilling thick, black smoke.
Once the plane had come to a halt, passengers escaped using emergency slides from the plane's two forward doors, before running away from the burning aircraft.

Moscow airport plane fire: At least 41 people killed in Aeroflot crash landing - CNN

Air disasters timeline

Dec 2015
USA
There is good from this story,

How hero flight attendant saved passengers in fiery Russian plane crash

A heroic flight attendant on the plane that burst into flames during a dramatic emergency landing in Moscow grabbed passengers “by the collar” and pushed them out of the aircraft to safety, according to a new report.

Tatyana Kasatkina, 34, told the Sun on Monday that she kicked open the door to the Aeroflot jet and physically pushed lingering passengers — who were delayed as others grabbed their bags from the overhead compartments — out onto the emergency slide.

https://nypost.com/2019/05/06/how-h...aved-passengers-in-fiery-russian-plane-crash/

Edratman

Forum Staff
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
Tatyana Kasatkina, 34, told the Sun on Monday that she kicked open the door to the Aeroflot jet and physically pushed lingering passengers — who were delayed as others grabbed their bags from the overhead compartments — out onto the emergency slide.

https://nypost.com/2019/05/06/how-h...aved-passengers-in-fiery-russian-plane-crash/
"as others grabbed their bags from the overhead compartments " Sad to say, but I am not surprised by this statement. Thankfully Ms. Kasatkina was able to offset this foolishness.

Dec 2017
-------
There is good from this story,

How hero flight attendant saved passengers in fiery Russian plane crash

A heroic flight attendant on the plane that burst into flames during a dramatic emergency landing in Moscow grabbed passengers “by the collar” and pushed them out of the aircraft to safety, according to a new report.

He was also a student of St-Petersburg state university of aviation wanting to become aviation mechanic. He died in flames. He was 22.

Dec 2015
USA
"as others grabbed their bags from the overhead compartments " Sad to say, but I am not surprised by this statement. Thankfully Ms. Kasatkina was able to offset this foolishness.
Right that was very unfortunate to hear of folks reportedly grabbing there bags possibly taking away precious time for others to escape.

In disaster situations people react different. Whatever was in the luggage for some of the passengers could it have been anything more then clothing ? With security measures in the world what valuables could one have in Carry on bags? I Suppose perhaps there may have been pictures of loved ones in the luggage but still a human life is more important than those things. I wonder to myself how I would react in this situation as we are all human. Of course I’n this situation with a fire raging one would hope all people exit the plane as fast as possible making sure all people and not luggage get away safe.

To hear of Russians though that did risk there life to help others is a good thing. There was also a Russian rescue worker who went into the plane to try and help people but he died unfortunately

There were 78 people on board and 41 perished in the flames. One passenger recorded part of the fire it was a bad sight to see.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
This is why, if you are an experienced traveller, you know:
a) Keep your valuables, specifically your travel documents and ID, within easy reach so you can grab them without getting up
b) Always listen to the safety video and read the safety leaflet even i you've seen it a hundred times before
c) Know where your nearest exit is - count the number of rows between you and the exit, so that you can navigate to it by feel - you may not be able to see it in amongst smoke and darkness
d) If you do need to evacuate, don't stop to get your goddamn bags!! See a).
e) Airline staff ARE there for your safety, not just to serve you drinks. Treat them with respect. In an emergency, they might be the one you're relying on the save your life

Jul 2016
Dengie Peninsula
Always fly on an aircraft that has an excellent safety record and has a lot of engines
Always arrive early in order to have a couple of bevvies at Wetherspoons.
Always stand at the back of the "Get on " scramble.
Always get off last and take your time.
Never buy anything on the plane.

Nov 2015
Kyiv
As you know, the Russian media have notified that the captain reported to the ground by radio that lightning struck the plane and that caused some problems with radio communications with the ground, and he turned the plane into an emergency landing in the airport from which the plane departured.

The Russians just deciphered the conversation recording from the flight voice recorder. As it turned out, there was no message about the lightning. In fact, the Russians accepted the phrase in English that the plane was in direct mode for the Russian phrase about a lightning strike (удар молнии - udar molniyih) . Two phrases sound somewhat similar