Most authoritative English translation of Valmiki and Vyas epics by an Indian

greatstreetwarrior

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
I am looking for the most authoritative scholastic English translation of Ramayana and Mahabharata (the original ones by Ved Vyas and Valmiki) by an Indian scholar (preferably non idealogical). I am looking for someone who has done this without losing the context of the original in Sanskrit and is factual rather than religious oriented. Would be great if apart from translation it could also provide explanation of the historical context rather than merely put the verses in English.

Dec 2016
Canada
I am looking for the most authoritative scholastic English translation of Ramayana and Mahabharata (the original ones by Ved Vyas and Valmiki) by an Indian scholar (preferably non idealogical). I am looking for someone who has done this without losing the context of the original in Sanskrit and is factual rather than religious oriented. Would be great if apart from translation it could also provide explanation of the historical context rather than merely put the verses in English.
To read Mahabharatha translated by Kisari Mohan Ganguly, go to this link:

Sacred-Texts: Hinduism

To read Ramayana translated by Desiraju Hanumanata Rao and K M K Murthy, go to this link:

Valmiki Ramayana

The translations won't directly state the historical context. You have to pick that up from reading the translated verses...

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Now, that is a nice answer. Actually, it could not have been better.

greatstreetwarrior

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
To read Mahabharatha translated by Kisari Mohan Ganguly, go to this link:

Sacred-Texts: Hinduism

To read Ramayana translated by Desiraju Hanumanata Rao and K M K Murthy, go to this link:

Valmiki Ramayana

The translations won't directly state the historical context. You have to pick that up from reading the translated verses...
thanks also please suggest if there is some book with good historical context also. Also is there an English version of the authoratitative translation from Bhandarkar Institute.

Dec 2016
Canada
thanks also please suggest if there is some book with good historical context also. Also is there an English version of the authoratitative translation from Bhandarkar Institute.
I haven't read the BORI CE version, but there is a tranlation by Bibek Debroy. But you will have to buy it. Its not available online:

https://www.amazon.in/Mahabharata-1-Bibek-Trans-Debroy-ebook/dp/B008ESLYSW

To know the historical context you could read:

THE MAHABHARATA: A Modern Rendering, Volume 1
By Ramesh Menon

https://books.google.ca/books?id=iOsat19ryloC&printsec=frontcover&dq=THE+MAHABHARATA:+A+Modern+Rendering,+Volume+1&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjS-qjv2e7QAhUjHGMKHYpoCUUQ6AEIHDAA#v=onepage&q=THE MAHABHARATA: A Modern Rendering, Volume 1&f=false

However, I would not recommend it. It would just be a waste of time. I would just recommend you start reading the actual epic with an unbiased mindset. It will be easy to pick up the historical context from there. Adi Parva talks about the ancient history of the Kurus as well if you are interested in that.

greatstreetwarrior

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
I haven't read the BORI CE version, but there is a tranlation by Bibek Debroy. But you will have to buy it. Its not available online:

https://www.amazon.in/Mahabharata-1-Bibek-Trans-Debroy-ebook/dp/B008ESLYSW

To know the historical context you could read:

THE MAHABHARATA: A Modern Rendering, Volume 1
By Ramesh Menon

https://books.google.ca/books?id=iOsat19ryloC&printsec=frontcover&dq=THE+MAHABHARATA:+A+Modern+Rendering,+Volume+1&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjS-qjv2e7QAhUjHGMKHYpoCUUQ6AEIHDAA#v=onepage&q=THE MAHABHARATA: A Modern Rendering, Volume 1&f=false

However, I would not recommend it. It would just be a waste of time. I would just recommend you start reading the actual epic with an unbiased mindset. It will be easy to pick up the historical context from there. Adi Parva talks about the ancient history of the Kurus as well if you are interested in that.
And any historical context to Ramayana

Dec 2016
Canada
And any historical context to Ramayana
No I haven't read any books for Ramayana other than the epic, which I have began reading quite recently... But there is a max 100-150 yr gap between mahabharatha and ramayana, so there won't be a great historical gap between both epics.