Most daunting works of colonial engineering?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I was inspired to make this thread by taking a look at this thread by PaKeeza (who's now banned, unfortunately :() from three years ago:

Miracle of Victorian Engineering - Indus Basin Irrigation System

In this thread, PaKeeza describes the Punjab Canal system in great detail and discusses how the British created this canal system in the western Punjab in the decades after 1880 and thus allowed agriculture and settlement to become much more widespread in the western Punjab. This is evidenced by this map that shows population growth in the western Punjab between 1891 and 1941 to be much greater than it was in other parts of the Punjab during this time:

In addition to the Punjab Canal System, there is also the Suez Canal--which is another fine example of colonial engineering:

The Suez Canal is notable for allowing sea travel from Europe and the Mediterranean to Asia much faster since, with the construction of this canal, Europeans would no longer have to travel by sea around all of Africa if they will want to reach Asia (such as British India) by sea. Europeans (specifically the British) also colonized Egypt 13 years after the construction of the Suez Canal--which I think makes it legitimate to describe the Suez Canal as also being a work of colonial engineering.

Anyway, which other prominent examples of colonial engineering are there? As in, cases where a colonial power (or a soon-to-be colonial power) engaged in a massive engineering project in the colonies?

Any thoughts on this?

Reactions: angelgue

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Also, in the event that anyone here is curious, here is a map of the canal and irrigation system in western Punjab (which is nowadays the Pakistani province of Punjab):

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Also, how in good heavens could I have forgotten to mention the Panama Canal here? :