Most disturbing historical facts you know of?

May 2013
The abode of the lord of the north
What are the most disturbing things you know about, that have happened in history? How shocked/ disturbed/ moved were you when you first heard about it?

Jan 2019
Croatia
In Independate state of Croatia(nazi pupet state) priests were used as firing squad leaders.Im catholic but i think that is one of stains od catholicism and im ashamed of it,as a Croat and as a catholic.

Nov 2016
Munich
The extremely sadistic European witch craze of course, with its American offshoot.

Torture

witch torture - Google Search

No one tortured witches like the Swiss

See also:

https://historum.com/threads/celestial-criminal-investigative-service.176601/

(...)

MALLARD:
Did you know, Mr. Palmer, that human inventiveness, when it comes to inflicting torture, knows no boundaries, but rather experimentally reaches new solutions time and again?

PALMER becomes even paler, because he suspects what's coming.

MALLARD:
Thumbscrews, knee screws, mouth barriers, neck violins, iron rings, head presses, cranial screws, chain pins, thorny ruffles, coercive belts, pincers, and a wheel of torture - all of these belong to the daily practice of those who harmed these women. In addition, victims were often drowned in urine barrels, cut off their tongues, or their bodies were roasted on hot iron. I know of a case where a woman's legs were severed with flames of fire.

PALMER:
Just the flames?

MALLARD:
Yeah.

(...)

Last edited:
Aug 2017
USA
I forget where/when exactly it happened, maybe the rape of Nanking? Soldiers would throw live babies into the air and try to catch them on their bayonets.

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
I forget where/when exactly it happened, maybe the rape of Nanking? Soldiers would throw live babies into the air and try to catch them on their bayonets.
This is not as shocking, but in one Asian battle a war elephant grabbed the enemy standard bearer and tossed him in the air and then impaled him on the spikes attached to his tusks when he came down.

Similar History Discussions