Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Battle of Trafalgar

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters
Jun 2010
Fallingwater
Which battle in history is the most famous for the general population and casual enthusiasts?

May 2019
Northern and Western hemispheres
I would the say the battle of Trafalgar as it was a famous naval battle of the Napoleonic Wars that saw the Royal Navy win impressively over France and Spain. Also admiral Nelson was KIA on the flagship HMS Victory.

Reactions: Bruce Freadrich
Sep 2017
United States
Thermopylae is pretty prevalent I think. The “300” movies really helped. Even those not interested in history are usually vaguely aware of the Spartan’s stand.

Reactions: At Each Kilometer
Dec 2019
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I would the say the battle of Trafalgar as it was a famous naval battle of the Napoleonic Wars that saw the Royal Navy win impressively over France and Spain. Also admiral Nelson was KIA on the flagship HMS Victory.
Yeah. . . for naval I would go with Trafalger. . . or Actium. . . remember Liz Taylor in the film version (yum)?

Reactions: Kubis Gabcik
Dec 2019
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I notice that Waterloo is currently in the lead.
Thanks Abba.
If we had all boogied out to a tune about the Catalalaunian Fields would it be in the list??
(Seriously. . . check it out. . . often overlooked. Big fight, lots of players, much at stake. . .)

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall
I notice that Waterloo is currently in the lead.
Thanks Abba.
If we had all boogied out to a tune about the Catalalaunian Fields would it be in the list??
(Seriously. . . check it out. . . often overlooked. Big fight, lots of players, much at stake. . .)
No

Wonder why ABBA sung about Waterloo?

Dec 2019
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
No

Wonder why ABBA sung about Waterloo?
I'm guessing they sung about Waterloo because of the metaphor "finally facing my Waterloo" -- i.e: "getting your comeuppance"
Also:
Knowing my fate is to be with you
Finally facing my Waterloo
It rhymes.
(You try rhyming Thermopylae. . . go on I dare you. . .)

Nov 2016
Germany
Larrey is right when he points out the relativity of the question. Fame is a relative quality, and without a frame of reference it is difficult to measure. On the whole, however, the Battle of Waterloo can be considered the most famous battle of all time. There is no doubt about that on the German language internet. The reason is of course that one of the most famous men in world history, Napoleon, was directly involved. The battle is thus symbolic for the defeat of an apparently invincible man. The name Waterloo (= water forest) contributes to the fame because 'water' in itself has a high symbolic value.

Last edited: