Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
most famous for who, where, when ....nothing scientific. it depends... as everything depends on the temporal spaces coordinates .. it is funny...10 battles.. 7 means 70% matched with anglosaxon countries or influenced by anglosaxon culture.... impartiality?

Gettysburg more important than Wien? Trafalgar more than Lepanto? the Bulge more than Bragation? Waterloo more than Leipzig or Austerlitz or Jena? Hastings more important than Las Navas de Tolosa or Bouvines?

Not scientific... Most famous... easily.... What is the battle most often portrayed in a movie? Little Big Horn? El Alamo? Pearl Harbour? D-Day? So. they are the most famous

Solidaire

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Athens, Greece
As noted in previous posts, there are no universally accepted "most famous battles", it varies according to whom you'll ask. Crucial is the educational system of each country and its emphasis on specific historical events (usually centred on own nation), as well as historical national experiences, passing from one generation to another when recent, or idolised, when in the distant past.

In my country, the most famous battles are those of the Persian Wars, Marathon, Thermopyles, Salamis, Plataea. Which is rather surprising now that I think of it, as they are 2500 years old. Perhaps because they were the first historical instance that Greeks came together to fight as a nation against a foreign power, and in this way sealing their common identity and heritage (the other instance prior to that was shrouded in myth, the even more famous Trojan War).

From battles with no immediate relation to Greek history, I'd say Stalingrad is the most famous one. Waterloo is also known, albeit stripped from the glow it is surrounded by in other parts of Europe - many would not even know who were fighting against Napoleon and what was it all about. The other battles on the list, you'd have to find people with an interest in history to know about.

Jan 2020
Scottish Borders
It totally depends on our/ your location. In Scotland it's Bannockburn, then Culloden. In South Korea probably Inchon or Osan etc

Edric Streona

Ad Honorem
Feb 2016
Japan
National bias will weigh heavy. As a son of Albion I’d say Waterloo/Somme or Trafalgar.
I’d guess an American would say Gettysburg, Iwo Jima or DDay.
I’d guess a Russian would say Stalingrad, Kursk or Borodino.

Dec 2019
Fryslân, Netherlands
National bias will weigh heavy. As a son of Albion I’d say Waterloo/Somme or Trafalgar.
I’d guess an American would say Gettysburg, Iwo Jima or DDay.
I’d guess a Russian would say Stalingrad, Kursk or Borodino.
Is Kursk really such “a thing” in Russia? The Battle of the Ice would also be a possibility.

Oct 2018
Sydney
Is Kursk really such “a thing” in Russia? The Battle of the Ice would also be a possibility.
I would have thought Stalingrad (and maybe Moscow) would have more clout than Kursk. I agree with Lake Peipus. After all, there was that Russian poll in 2008 on the greatest Russian in history, and the winner was Alexander Nevsky. Poltava is probably high on the list as well. Maybe Kulikovo too?

Edric Streona

Ad Honorem
Feb 2016
Japan
I guess so. There may even be medieval battles that are more important to them. Most of my Russian knowledge is squarely Napoleonic I’m afraid.

Mar 2018
UK
In the UK, I think it would fairly close between Waterloo, Hastings, Somme, Trafalgar and Agincourt (notably absent on the poll IMO). It would be hard to pick one above the others as I'd expect anyone who has the vaguest hint of historical education to have heard of all 4. Of course recent polls have shown that something like 1/4 of the population has never heard of Churchill, so....