Most important century of the Middle Ages (6th-15th centuries)

The most decisive Medieval century is the...

• 6th

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7th

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • 8th

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • 9th

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • 10th

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 11th

• 12th

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • 13th

• 14th

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • 15th

• Total voters
Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
The birth of the Portucalense Kingdom 1095 that today is Portugal. After the conquest of Ceuta by Portugal in 1415 that gave rise to the Maritime Discoveries.

Mar 2016
Australia
I voted for the 13th. Constantinople is sacked and the Roman Empire splinters, the Crusader states in the Levant are finally snuffed out, the Angevin Empire falls apart and the French royal government is strengthened, the communes and republics in Italy truly come into their own, Andalusia is almost entirely conquered by Christian powers, the Mongols invade eastern Europe, universities as we understand them develop and spread through western Europe, the production of scholarship and philosophy explodes, eyeglasses are invented, mechanical clocks are invented, gunpowder weapons are introduced into Europe, the European economy and population grow enormously (the massive growth of towns and cities being of particular note), the European economy becomes largely monetized, feudal institutions and arrangements weaken considerably, proto-Renaissance forms develop, etc., etc. The 9th century is an important prelude to the rest of the medieval period, particularly in England, France, Germany, and the Benelux, but the changes of the 13th were much more far-reaching, and had an enormous impact on every section of medieval society. The 14th century is also very important, particularly for the Black Death, Hundred Years' War, and collapse of Roman authority (again), but the political, cultural, philosophical, technological, and scholarly developments of the century all seem to hearken back very strongly to the radical changes of the 13th more than being radical changes in their own right.
I was going to vote for the 9th or 15th centuries, but this post has convinced me of your argument for the 13th. Well said.

Similar History Discussions