Most inbred royalty?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Which royalty were the most inbred? I know that Louis, le Grand Dauphin (son of Louis XIV) had four great-grandparents instead of the usual eight due to his parents being double first-cousins:

Louis, Grand Dauphin - Wikipedia

Thus, it's as if Louis, le Grand Dauphin's parents were brother and sisters--since that's how close they were on a genetic level.

I know that the Hapsburgs were also very inbred--though I am unsure if any of them were as inbred as Louis was. Of course, Louis also appears to have had better looks than the various Hapsburgs had--perhaps unsurprisingly given the Hapsburgs' longer history of inbreeding. I certainly know about the legendary Hapsburg jaw.

Anyway, what other cases of extremely inbred royalty have there been?

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
Purely in terms of phenotypes (expressed genetic traits), can you really beat Charles II of Spain?

org_pylj299.jpg

His family tree features no less than 11 marriages to blood relatives (consanguineous), and it seems like in the toss of the Hapsburg genetic dice, Charles II got all of the less desirable / dysfunctional genes.

The notes taken at his autopsy were bizarre.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Purely in terms of phenotypes (expressed genetic traits), can you really beat Charles II of Spain?

View attachment 21243

His family tree features no less than 11 marriages to blood relatives (consanguineous), and it seems like in the toss of the Hapsburg genetic dice, Charles II got all of the less desirable / dysfunctional genes.

The notes taken at his autopsy were bizarre.
Thanks for sharing these notes!

Also, if it was opposite day, I'd say that Charles II was super-hott! ;)

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
Also, if it was opposite day, I'd say that Charles II was super-hott! ;)
Though appearance really has no role is what a person is like (you don't have to be 'hawt' to be a good person, ruler, etc) - it serves to underline all that was going wrong with the Hapsburg's... they literally inbred themselves out of power!

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Though appearance really has no role is what a person is like (you don't have to be 'hawt' to be a good person, ruler, etc) - it serves to underline all that was going wrong with the Hapsburg's... they literally inbred themselves out of power!
First of all, it's spelled "hott", not "hawt". ;) Secondly, I completely agree with your point. I think that the Hapsburgs should have been more willing to allow morganatic marriage so that their only choices would not have been to either marry themselves or to marry other royalty (and marrying other royalty was a risk since they could end up inheriting your throne--as ultimately happened in 1700 when the Spanish Hapsburgs died out).

Similar History Discussions