Most influential/important/greatest Chinese dynasty ever?

Status
Closed
Aug 2010
Central Macedonia
Three questions in one. The OP is clear. Any dynasty from Xia and onwards will do. Please give a reason, as eloquently as possible.

mingming

Ad Honorem
Feb 2011
Los Santos, San Andreas
I'm having a hard time choosing between the Han and the Tang. The Han was the model Chinese dynasties that set down rules on what the dynasties should be like. Yet the Han style of government and the Han bureaucracy never survived. The Tang reformed it and it was the Tang model that survived.

Aug 2011
Maybe not the most influential but I gave my vote to the Ming Dynasty due to its epicness.

The first dynasty where the ruler came from nothing to snatch the throne from the jaws of Mongol overlords.

The first dynasty where the Emperors were ballsy enough move capital to present day Beijing so close to the Mongol and Manchu threats.

The first dynasty to set envoys across the ocean.

The first dynasty to develop pseudo capitalism.

The dynasty that gave birth to Neo-Confucianism.

Now the sad part.

The last dynasty to be ruled by Rulers of Han descent.

The ONLY dynasty where the Emperors all died fighting rather than bowing to their enemies.

Never ever has any Ming Emperors made peace with or appease the Barbarians. They might have bankrupted the country but they DO NOT BACK DOWN.

mingming

Ad Honorem
Feb 2011
Los Santos, San Andreas
Maybe not the most influential but I gave my vote to the Ming Dynasty due to its epicness.

The first dynasty where the ruler came from nothing to snatch the throne from the jaws of Mongol overlords.

The first dynasty where the Emperors were ballsy enough move capital to present day Beijing so close to the Mongol and Manchu threats.

The first dynasty to set envoys across the ocean.

The first dynasty to develop pseudo capitalism.

The dynasty that gave birth to Neo-Confucianism.

Now the sad part.

The last dynasty to be ruled by Rulers of Han descent.

The ONLY dynasty where the Emperors all died fighting rather than bowing to their enemies.

Never ever has any Ming Emperors made peace with or appease the Barbarians. They might have bankrupted the country but they DO NOT BACK DOWN.
I like the Ming Dynasty too but a lot of what you said is false, sadly. :sad:

The first dynasty where the founding emperor came from peasant backgrounds was from the Han Dynasty (Liu Bang).

The first dynasty to send envoys to other countries was also the Han. Zhang Qiang help found the Silk Road.

The first dynasty to develop psuedo-capitalism would have to be the Song. The Song pretty much set the standard for Chinese economics.

The first dynasty to develop Neo-Confucianism was also the Song.

The Ming also appeased the barbarians to help ensure stability at home. The Manchus were made as "guardians" as Liaodong and was given pretty much free reign over the region. The Ming maintained a series of fortified cities but otherwise withdrew back beyond the Great Wall.

You might also want to check out Altan Khan: [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altan_Khan]Altan Khan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

He led devastating raids into China that forced the Ming into establishing peace. The Ming gave him special trade relations and also made him King.

Even during the Imjin Wars, Emperor Wanli tried to seek a peaceful way out by bestowing the title "King of Japan" on Hideyoshi. He didn't send troops again until after Hideyoshi launched the second invasion.

Sep 2011
I believe it is Qin dynasty, it was when chinese language, custom started emerging.Qin dynasty was the shortest dynasty but its influence in everlasting.

clement

Ad Honorem
Jun 2011
California, USA
The Tang is my favorite. It restored order after centuries of wars, it was militarily very successful and probably the greatest power of its time.

The Song had a good economy and a brilliant culture, but politically and militarily, they were somewhat inept. I think the Qing are also underated because they ended very badly (but like most dynasties in fact). They brought china to its greatest extension and were highly successful during two centuries.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Tang - because it laid down the foundations for the development of Japanese governance. But Ming comes close behind.

And because all the best wuxia series are set in the Tang or Ming dynasties.

Status
Closed