Most Interesting Ancient Seafaring Group?

Most Interesting Ancient Seafarers?

• Phoenicians

Votes: 32 49.2%
  • Greeks

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Romans

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 20 30.8%

• Total voters
Jun 2013
USA
When you think of ancient times and seafaring, a few civilizations come to mind. But which to you is the most interesting in terms of their adventures out on the sea? For me it'd have to be the Phoenicians.

Jul 2014
ALBANIA & ITALIA
When you think of ancient times and seafaring, a few civilizations come to mind. But which to you is the most interesting in terms of their adventures out on the sea? For me it'd have to be the Phoenicians.
Yes, you are right. The Phoenicians were "the British" off ancient times.
I will add an Illyrian tribe, Liburnians.

Nostromo

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Queens
Greeks were great sailors, and founded the city where I was born (Odessa), but I'll give a slight edge to the fearless Phoenicians. A while back I read that they managed to explore as far as Britain (I think in was in Carthage must be Destroyed). Also they possessed one of the most amazing ports in antiquity - Carthage.

Jul 2014
ALBANIA & ITALIA
why would you say that. Would the Greeks and Romans have a better claim.
[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenicia]Phoenicia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Phoenicia (UK /fɨˈnɪʃə/ or US /fəˈniːʃə/;[2] from the Greek: Φοινίκη, Phoiníkē; Arabic: فينيقية‎, Fīnīqīyah) was an ancient Semitic thalassocratic civilization situated on the western, coastal part of the Fertile Crescent and centered on the coastline of modern Lebanon.
Through their maritime trade, the Phoenicians spread the use of the alphabet to North Africa and Europe, where it was adopted by the Greeks, who later transmitted it to the Romans.

May 2013
Sweden
The ancient arab middlemen who built upon old foundations aswell as greatly expanded the indian ocean trade. The meddling with widely different cultures in the ocean is very interesting to me. But, of the ones you mentioned, it's a stalemate between the greeks and the phoenicians. Both sailed the mediterranean and the indian ocean when they were still, for them, uncharted lands. Thanks to the romans, the greeks lived to see a better day than the phoenicians, and thus the greeks are taking the first place. The greeks also broke the arab monopoly of indian goods by being very daring.

Although, one can't help to get very interested in the supposed phoenician trade routes with west africa.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions