Most Interesting Ancient Seafaring Group?

Most Interesting Ancient Seafarers?

• Phoenicians

Votes: 36 50.0%
  • Greeks

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • Romans

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other

Votes: 22 30.6%

• Total voters

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
I agree that the Phoenicians and Polynesians were the greatest, but Phoenicia gets the slight edge because of Carthage's port and its major impact on naval affairs forever.
Although not solely Phoenician, but Egyptian/Phoenician the first circumnavigation of Africa, believing in Herodotus, made some 2000 years before the Portuguese, was a huge achievement: Necho II - Wikipedia

Apr 2019
Mumbai
The Conversation, CC BY-ND
The Borneo - Madagascar movement of 7000 kilometers over an open Ocean has to be the most impressive seafaring journey. Meanwhile, Indian sailors travelled from Korea in the East to Tanzania on the west, a distance of 12,000 kilometers.

Reactions: sparky

arkteia

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
Seattle
Phoenicians. Not only the seafarers, but the traders, the inventors of the alphabet. Amazing.

Dec 2014
Kent, England
It is very interesting to note that as far as I can tell the Polynesians bypassed Australia, although it is nearer and incomparably larger than most of their islands. New Zealand is the only one at all comparable in size.
Their seafaring exploits seem unrivalled, but they did not exploit their economic or cultural potential like the Middle Eastern and European seafaring cultures.

May 2019
Near East
Definitely the Phoenicians. Not just for their seafaring which allowed them to cross the pillars of Hercules, reach Britain and dominate Mediterranean trade.. but also for their cultural impact, best manifested through their alphabet, the earliest known alphabet from which the Greek alphabet derives. The word "Alphabet" itself has Semitic roots.. from the first two letters of the Phoenician alphabet, "aleph" and "beth". (Compare to the Greek "alpha" and "beta" and the Hebrew "alef" and "bet")

Reactions: Arminius
Oct 2018
Sydney
I have also voted for the Phoenicians, for the following reasons:
1. The alphabet
2. The purple dye industry
3. Their skill in ship-building
4. The founding of Carthage
5. The phenomenon of child-sacrifice (which I'm inclined to think did happen, although I recognize that there is debate)
6. Himilco's expedition to Britain
7. The circumnavigation of Africa under Necho II
8. The expedition of Hanno down the West African coast
9. The Saharan expedition of Mago
10. Carthaginian/Liby-Phoenician agricultural expertise
11. Their control over Mediterranean trade with the silver mines of southern Spain
12. Their influence over Tyrrhenian trade

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall
Not sure if I've said it before, but Vandals. From land-locked Eastern 'Europe' to Mediterranean pirate kingdom in 3 or 4 decades

Oct 2018
Sydney
I have also voted for the Phoenicians, for the following reasons:
1. The alphabet
2. The purple dye industry
3. Their skill in ship-building
4. The founding of Carthage
5. The phenomenon of child-sacrifice (which I'm inclined to think did happen, although I recognize that there is debate)
6. Himilco's expedition to Britain
7. The circumnavigation of Africa under Necho II
8. The expedition of Hanno down the West African coast
9. The Saharan expedition of Mago
10. Carthaginian/Liby-Phoenician agricultural expertise
11. Their control over Mediterranean trade with the silver mines of southern Spain
12. Their influence over Tyrrhenian trade
I would add to my list Liby-Phoenician architecture. From Sabratha:

sabratha.jpg

Last edited: