Most interesting Roman/Byzantine dynasty (up to two votes)

Which Roman/Byzantine dynasty do you find the most interesting (up to two votes)?

• The Leonid Dynasty (457 - 518)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Justinian Dynasty (518 - 602)

• The Isaurian Dynasty (717 - 802)

• The Nikephorian and Amorian Dynasties (802 - 867)

• The Doukid Dynasty (1059 - 1081)

• The Laskarid Dynasty (1204 - 1261)

• Total voters

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
My second vote would have been on the Flavian Dynasty. They had everything: The stellar emperor in Titus who was cut short :( as Roman an emperor you'll ever see in Vespasian (self made man) , and the alleged tyrant who suffered damnatio memorae but was most likely a capable leader in Domitian.
The Flavians were my first choice for the reasons you laid out.

Second for me would be the Nerva-Antonine Dynasty and the Julio-Claudians third.

The Crisis of the 3rd Century is one of the more interesting periods in Roman history, but we don't always know as much about the emperors as we did in some of the earlier periods.

The Late Roman Republic would be my pick however for the most interesting period.

Feb 2019
Thrace
The Flavians were my first choice for the reasons you laid out.

Second for me would be the Nerva-Antonine Dynasty and the Julio-Claudians third.

The Crisis of the 3rd Century is one of the more interesting periods in Roman history, but we don't always know as much about the emperors as we did in some of the earlier periods.

The Late Roman Republic would be my pick however for the most interesting period.
Lol. Antonines were first for me and Julio Claudians 3rd :D

Sep 2013
Ontario, Canada
Rome was never quite as powerful and influential as it was under the Julio-Claudians and Nerva-Antonines. They would've gotten my votes if I would've picked two from the Principate. For the poll, I selected the Julio-Claudians.

In the Byzantine era it was a hard call for me between the Justinian dynasty and the Macedonian one, but the latter lasted longer, featured the Macedonian Renaissance, and ended in perhaps the strongest Emperor (Basil II) that the Byzantines would see until the fall of Constantinople.

Kirialax

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Blachernai
I voted for the 'Crisis of the Third Century' emperors and the Tetrarchy.
I'm shocked! Shocked, I tell you!

I think it's pretty clear which way I voted - most of my work involves either the Herakleians or the Komnenoi.

Whether the Doukids should be separate is debateable - it was a Komnenos-Doukas alliance that brought Alexios I to power, and it was a number of Doukai around Isaakios I as well, so at what point one wants to begin an independent Komnenos dynasty is unclear. But I'm just splitting hairs here. All these elite families are inter-related.

I'm shocked! Shocked, I tell you!

I think it's pretty clear which way I voted - most of my work involves either the Herakleians or the Komnenoi.

Whether the Doukids should be separate is debateable - it was a Komnenos-Doukas alliance that brought Alexios I to power, and it was a number of Doukai around Isaakios I as well, so at what point one wants to begin an independent Komnenos dynasty is unclear. But I'm just splitting hairs here. All these elite families are inter-related.
Haha yeah, I admittedly didn't really feel the need to specify my vote, since for many users it would indeed be abundantly obvious!

That's a fair point about the Doukids and the Komnenids. One could make a similar point about distinguishing between a) the Tetrarchy and the Constantinian Dynasty, and b) the Valentinian and Theodosian dynasties.

Sep 2012
Bulgaria
I have a question.The two Constantines of Heraclean dynasty, the Old and the New (the father Constans II and the son Constantine IV) were called Pogonatos / the Bearded, but often is mentioned that Constantine IV is incorrectly called Pogonatos, by confusion with his father. Anyone knows the source of this confusion? Constantine IV wasnt Pogonatos? Thanks in advance!

Similar History Discussions