Most Interesting Roman Dynasty / Period

Most Interesting Pre-Tetrarchy Roman Dynasty?

• Flavian Dynasty (AD 69 - 96)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Year of the Five Emperors (AD 193)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

EmperorTigerstar

Ad Honorem
Jun 2013
USA
The Roman Empire had multiple ruling dynasties. Especially with so many emperors dying a horrible death. Which dynasty or period of rapid change is the most interesting to you? To simplify it, this only goes up to the creation of Tetrarchy, as things got more complicated in terms of ruling dynasty.

Mine is the Julio-Claudian Dynasty. How about yours?

Space Shark

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
Redneck Country, AKA Texas
I've got to go with the Julio Claudians as well. There's such a treasure trove of information and history to be learned studying them. Each was an interesting man in his own right as well.

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
Like most here I voted for the Julio-Claudians, though the Flavians would be a very close runner up for me. Vespasian and Titus are two of the more interesting Emperors.

EmperorTigerstar

Ad Honorem
Jun 2013
USA
Like most here I voted for the Julio-Claudians, though the Flavians would be a very close runner up for me. Vespasian and Titus are two of the more interesting Emperors.
Vespasian has been particularly interesting to me as well. So has Trajan for obvious reasons.

Space Shark

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
Redneck Country, AKA Texas
I've always found Domitian to be interesting. He was always in Titus' shadow, yet probably had a more lasting impact than him for setting up the peaceful 2nd century.

Oct 2012
I voted Severan Dynasty. Although in a way it's the beginning of the end, it could be viewed as the Roman Empire at its height. Sure, the empire might had been more powerful a few decades earlier, but there are a few details that make me take this time:

Rome was probably almost as grand as it would ever be. Most major monuments were already built, the big exception being The Basilica of Maxentius and some other "lesser" buildings, not to mention infrastructure, with places like Portus. Cities like Palmyria and Dura Europos would be lost in a the following decades and the civil wars would greatly change the state and the army. Even if you could say that the Roman Empire was already sick in this time, it probably still looked very healthy.

The best way to explain is this: If I had to visit the Roman Empire in one period, this would probably be it. But honestly, every period of roman history has a particular appeal.

Jan 2010
NC
the Severans, because while things haven't gone down hill for Rome yet you can start to the problems that would lead to the crisis of the third century.