Most Maddening Historical 'Mysteries'

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
What happened to Fatimid Caliph Al-Hakim? In 1021 he went for a walk through the Mokattam hills near Cairo and never came back. It is likely that his sister Sitt al-Mulk had him assassinated because they had a stormy relationship and she became the regent after Al-Hakim's death. But, nothing was ever conclusively proven so Al-Hakim's death remains a mystery.

Davidius

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
Pillium
Cambyses lost army in Egypt mentioned in Herodotus as being enveloped in a sandstorm on the way to Siwa. Some expeditions were put together to try to locate their remains. It may be a spurious tale, but might be a metaphor for an army being annihilated.
Some remains have been found and they are most likely those of the army.

Vanished Persian army said found in desert

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia, EU
A king of Mali sending hundreds of boats to an open Atlantic which never returned.

Phoenician expeditions going over straits of Gibraltar to explore African coasts.

Romans crossing Sahara dessert.

Vikings crossing Aral.

Alexander in India, Indogreeks later.

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
The identity of this animal(s) has never been explained, the Beast of Gevaudan killed around 100 people in the 1760s.

Theories include, an ordinary if large wolf, a wolf dog, a wolf pack, a hyena or lion.

Or was it a serial killer who used the presence of an animal as scapegoat for his murders? A little ridiculous to stretch it that far perhaps... but what animal undresses humans after killing them (as some were reportedly found)?

Where did Agatha Christie go,and why? Eventually turning up in Harrogate, I believe.
This is one that has always gotten to me... was she having a sort of nervous breakdown and having lapses in memory? Or was it all orchestrated to make her husband worry about her (he was having an affair, so did it stand to reason that she was trying one last ditch effort to get his attention on her again)? Some say that the way she left her car didn't seem to look like it was involved in an accident - but her husband blamed her car accident for her loss of memory over the days she was missing.

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia, EU
How is this a historical mystery?
I don't think that it is much explored in sources, even more with Indogreeks. I would like to read something cohesive about Menander and others. There is no clear consensus even how deep into India were Menander's conquests, I 've read only bunch of anecdotes.

Apr 2019
Ireland
Some remains have been found and they are most likely those of the army.

Vanished Persian army said found in desert
These findings by the Castiglioni brothers are not recognised as they were presented in a film and not published in any scientific journal. The Egyptian Supreme Council of Antiquities has labelled the findings as 'unfounded and misleading' and said that they were never granted permission to excavate in Egypt.
This is from the Wikipedia article on Cambyses II under the section 'Lost Army' .. Cambyses II - Wikipedia

Aug 2014
New York, USA
What happened to looted Jewish personal property, especially gold, jewelry, artwork, and other artifacts after 1945.
Since entire extended families were killed, there are no claimants for any of that property, and nobody knows who owned what. It would be nice to audit the Vatican bank.

Similar History Discussions