Most Maddening Historical 'Mysteries'

Apr 2014
Liverpool, England
What happened in Liverpool on the night of 3rd May 1941? Certainly there was a very heavy (for the period) German air raid in which over a thousand people were killed. While there were a number of well-known incidents, there are some things that have no adequate explanation though they must have been the subject of inquiry at the time. A large area of the city centre, including a vital telephone exchange, was destroyed in a conflagration that was scarcely attended by the fire service. An ammunition ship burned for hours before blowing up, again without anyone (except a few very brave auxiliary firemen) doing much to prevent this. "There was a muddle over bringing in reinforcements which either did not arrive or were extremely late." It may be that some of these things could be readily explained, but I suspect that the explanations would have come to light long ago if they were not felt to be a bit embarrassing.

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
What happened to looted Jewish personal property, especially gold, jewelry, artwork, and other artifacts after 1945.
Since entire extended families were killed, there are no claimants for any of that property, and nobody knows who owned what. It would be nice to audit the Vatican bank.
It also seems like a nice stash of artwork was 'liberated' by the Red Army... It would be interesting to know whatever happened to those pieces, too... some have resurfaced recently, like the Eberswalde Hoard.

Jun 2019
Jacksonville
Descriptions of beast of Gévaudan sound like a mountain lion to me. The behavior is similar. We had a cat eating only the heart out of dogs and deer we found in its territory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jun 2018
New Hampshire
What happened to Fatimid Caliph Al-Hakim? In 1021 he went for a walk through the Mokattam hills near Cairo and never came back. It is likely that his sister Sitt al-Mulk had him assassinated because they had a stormy relationship and she became the regent after Al-Hakim's death. But, nothing was ever conclusively proven so Al-Hakim's death remains a mystery.
Assassinated by vengeful canines?

I read he had all of the dogs in Cairo slaughtered because their barking annoyed him. If I'm not mistaken he also declared himself to be Allah in the flesh. A big taboo in Islam.

He's still worshipped as a god by the Sufi sect if I remember correctly.

May 2011
Rural Australia
Do you have a favorite - seemingly unsolvable - historical mystery that preoccupies you?
Christian origins: Who fabricated the Greek New Testament from the Greek LXX?
How, when, where and why?

It is, I think, expedient to set forth to all mankind
the reasons by which I was convinced that
the fabrication of the Galilaeans
is a fiction of men composed by wickedness.

Though it has in it nothing divine,
by making full use of that part of the soul
which loves fable and is childish and foolish,
it has induced men to believe
that the monstrous tale is truth.

Emperor Julian c.361 CE
Against the Galileans - Wikipedia

The manner of Gordian III's death. Third-century Persian sources claim he was killed fighting the Persians at the Battle of Misiche, fourth-century Roman sources claim that he was killed by his praetorian prefect Philip the Arab, and certain Byzantine sources claim that he fell from his horse while fighting the Persians, crushed his thigh and later died from his injuries. I favour the Byzantine version.

Mar 2014
Beneath a cold sun, a grey sun, a Heretic sun...
as mentioned, Oak Island.
One of the most successful investment frauds in history. So successful that people still believe it, though not one iota of any part of the story can be substantiated. Even the artifacts allegedly recovered from the pit cannot be found - because they never existed in the first place.

No mystery there, sorry.

Mar 2019
Kansas
One of the most successful investment frauds in history. So successful that people still believe it, though not one iota of any part of the story can be substantiated. Even the artifacts allegedly recovered from the pit cannot be found - because they never existed in the first place.

No mystery there, sorry.
The area around the money pit is now so disturbed no one can even confirm exactly where the original tunnel that started all this was. But the guys there now are making an absolute fortune out of the tourism they have generated. So someone finally figured out how to make the mystery pay

Similar History Discussions