Most Maddening Historical 'Mysteries'

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
Death of Louis Berthier
The fate of Theodosia Burr
and a bit less maddening, why did John Duckworth not attack the French squadron headed for the Indian Ocean.
I searched and read a bit about all of these... though I have to say that searching “Death of Louis Berthier” and having Google respond with “DEFENESTRATION” was fun. What a good word.

Theodosia Burr's demise is going to drive me a bit crazy... what the heck happened there?!

Mar 2019
Kansas
I just saw a couple episodes of this... (apparently not paying enough attention). Do they think they found a Templar treasure cache?
Which had an Egyptian/Mayan hybrid mummy inside wearing an amulet proving the existence of Atlantis and boomerang in his left hand and Drake's drum in his right........then things really got weird lol

Feb 2019
Serbia
I searched and read a bit about all of these... though I have to say that searching “Death of Louis Berthier” and having Google respond with “DEFENESTRATION” was fun. What a good word.

Theodosia Burr's demise is going to drive me a bit crazy... what the heck happened there?!

Bethier died in 1815 under strange circumstances. After Napoleon returned from exile Berthier refused to support him and retired to Bamberg. On the 1st of June he fell from the window at his estate in Bamberg and died. Some claim that he committed suicide either because he had great regret for not joining Napoleon in the 7th Coalition or because he couldn't bare the sight of the Coalition armies marching towards France.

Then there is a theory that he was assassinated by a secret society with reports of 6 masked men entering his room and pushing him out. Focuhe remarked that his death was ordered but said nothing else. Fouche's successor Comte Decazes commented that Berthier's death was linked to the death of an ''important man'' in 1814 in Paris which also occurred under strange circumstances.

And the most exciting theory of all: He just leaned too far and fell by accident, in any case it is known that he fell out of the window.

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
Which had an Egyptian/Mayan hybrid mummy inside wearing an amulet proving the existence of Atlantis and boomerang in his left hand and Drake's drum in his right........then things really got weird lol
It seemed like a bunch of guys constantly getting upset and overdramatic everytime some piece of construction equipment broke down (and it always broke down).... and constantly all sitting around a conference table on speaker phone with an “expert”.

I wished I hadn't missed that bit with Drake's drum... 😉

Mar 2019
Kansas
It seemed like a bunch of guys constantly getting upset and overdramatic everytime some piece of construction equipment broke down (and it always broke down).... and constantly all sitting around a conference table on speaker phone with an “expert”.

I wished I hadn't missed that bit with Drake's drum... 😉
Yeah when you look into the background of this show and the guys on it, you realize this whole Oak Island thing is a tourist trap. Through the summer they have guided tours, a hotel was recently built nearby etc etc

So the long they can spin the story, the better their potential income.

Well the theory is he beat on Drakes Drum with the boomerang while singing selections from Led Zeppelin's great hits (but that's just a working theory, might well be Nickleback songs instead)

Oct 2016
Merryland
Why are certain things possible for a SB and others are not? Natural laws. Is the SB subject to the laws it created?
if by SB you mean God
He can do what He wants.
He can make and break natural laws as He pleases.
He sometimes allows exceptions, aka miracles.
He is limited by His promises. He hasn't gobsmacked the human race into molecules cuz He promised to be patient and give us time to get better.
ALL things are possible to Him. out of love and mercy He holds back.
as for why He doesn't just heal everybody...eventually He will. as above He has given us humans a chance to see what we can do with this world.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Do you have a favorite - seemingly unsolvable - historical mystery that preoccupies you? Or maybe it's one that you have a solid (or even dodgy... sure... let's hear it...) theory to solve?

There have been some good ones on here lately that I've really enjoyed reading - 'Did Custer commit suicide?', 'Who were the sea peoples?', 'Who was King Arthur?', etc...

What's yours?
The identity of Jack the Ripper is definitely one of my own top ones.

Similar History Discussions