Most Maddening Historical 'Mysteries'

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
I searched and read a bit about all of these... though I have to say that searching “Death of Louis Berthier” and having Google respond with “DEFENESTRATION” was fun. What a good word.

Theodosia Burr's demise is going to drive me a bit crazy... what the heck happened there?!
Agreed. Defenestration is a great word :)

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
The identity of Jack the Ripper is definitely one of my own top ones.
Which would be better: if Jack turned out to be some upper class, charismatic guy or just a brutal, drudge type of guy? I feel like it would be oddly disappointing if he wasn't a some psychopath with some couth or a high IQ... but maybe he really was just a butcher.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Which would be better: if Jack turned out to be some upper class, charismatic guy or just a brutal, drudge type of guy? I feel like it would be oddly disappointing if he wasn't a some psychopath with some couth or a high IQ... but maybe he really was just a butcher.
What would have been better would have been if he would have been caught and appropriately punished--regardless of who exactly he was.

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
What would have been better would have been if he would have been caught and appropriately punished--regardless of who exactly he was.
Well, true... but sometimes the unknown lends itself to all sorts of the most interesting suppositions... so good that they make the real explanation seem bland and sad in comparison. So when they have the Ripper on trial, will he turn out to be someone rather pathetic... someone too ordinary to be remembered? No one really seems as preoccupied with the Rostov Ripper (who was truly terrifying) the way they are with Jack the Ripper (who is an unknown).

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
I want to know who 355 in the Culper spy ring was... I doubt it really was Anna Strong - because supposedly she had a child with Robert Townsend (Agent 723)... and that he was in love with her. 355 was identified as a woman, and was going aboard the prison ship HMS Jersey for some reason...(probably not a prisoner, but delivering something to or visiting a prisoner) and also close with British spy master John Andre. Perhaps she was just “a woman”, but it seems she was an spy.

Who was Agent 355???

Last edited:
Sep 2013
Ontario, Canada
Any of the missing treasures of history is of great interest to me!

Always wondered what happened to the Menorah of the Second Temple. Looted by the Roman legions during the sack of Jerusalem and then paraded in Rome in the Triumph of 70 CE, it was made famous by its depiction on the Arch of Titus. Supposedly it remained in Rome, in the Temple of Peace, for almost 400 years thereafter. During the Sack of Rome in 455 CE it was one of the treasures taken by the Vandals and eventually brought to their new home of Carthage.

There it stayed until recovered by Belisarius in 534 CE during the Byzantine reconquest of Africa. Then it was paraded yet again, in the last Roman Triumph, in Constantinople. Justinian was advised that the Menorah had a curse on it, as it had brought about the end of Jerusalem, then of Rome, and finally the Vandals. So he had it sent back to Jerusalem, which is when it vanishes from history

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
I want to know who 355 in the Culper spy ring was... I doubt it really was Anna Strong - because supposedly she had a child with Robert Townsend (Agent 723)... and that he was in love with her. 355 was identified as a woman, and was going aboard the prison ship HMS Jersey for some reason...(probably not a prisoner, but delivering something to or visiting a prisoner) and also close with British spy master John Andre. Perhaps she was just “a woman”, but it seems she was an spy.

Who was Agent 355???
Hm, now wondering if we know who Agent 99 was....

Similar History Discussions