Most major US cities not originally British or US

Asherman

Forum Staff
May 2013
Albuquerque, NM
Santa Fe, but that was predated by Old Orabe, the principle Hopi town perched atop a mesa in NE Arizona, are older than the English colonies. Mexico City was old when the Spanish arrived, and is still one of the world's great cities.

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
A great many major cities were built on top of older if much less urban settlements. That is true on both sides of the Atlantic.

Many of the major cities of Europe that were founded by the Romans for example, were on sites that had been villages, forts, or towns used by the natives before a Roman army decided it belonged to them. London and Paris are two examples. That is true as well for that matter of Rome itself. Though the city was officially founded in 753 B.C., there is archaeological evidence of human habitation stretching back 5,000 years.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Can you say a list of British Cities? I don´t remember British conquered Texas.... British left what today is USA in 1783.... Texas belonged to Spain till 1821 (Texans fought in Baylen! and not in British Army at all).. to Mexico till 1836/1848. So... Not British at all in Texas!
Houston had nothing to do with the Spanish or the Mexicans. It was founded by the Allen brothers. Austin basically did not exist under the Mexican regime. I don’t recall that either Ft Worth or Dallas had any Spanish or Mexican origins. San Antonio was founded by the Spanish and continues as a majority Hispanic city today; Corpus Christi too, I believe. All Texas cities have large Hispanic populations. Later, there was a great deal of Anglo, German, Czech, Polish settlement here.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Houston had nothing to do with the Spanish or the Mexicans. It was founded by the Allen brothers. Austin basically did not exist under the Mexican regime. I don’t recall that either Ft Worth or Dallas had any Spanish or Mexican origins. San Antonio was founded by the Spanish and continues as a majority Hispanic city today; Corpus Christi too, I believe. All Texas cities have large Hispanic populations. Later, there was a great deal of Anglo, German, Czech, Polish settlement here.

Austin Brothers were not British.. but yankees... as Pelé is not a Portuguese guy... and not.. dear Royal.. you can´t write here the name of the Treaty where Spain gave Texas to United Kingdom.. because that NEVER happened... ok?

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Santa Fe, but that was predated by Old Orabe, the principle Hopi town perched atop a mesa in NE Arizona, are older than the English colonies. Mexico City was old when the Spanish arrived, and is still one of the world's great cities.
The Province of Nuevo Mexico, a province in New Spain, was stablished in 1598 by Don Juan de Oñate (Panuco, Zacatecas, New Spain, 1550 - Gudadalcana, Kingdom of Sevilla, Castille, Spain, 1626)... However, a village was stablished by Don Juan Martinez Montoya in 1607 and officially founded by Don Pedro Peralta in 1610 as La Villa Real de la Santa Fé de San Francisco de Asís.
Of course, there were indians in the area as in New York or in Manhattan.. but Indians were not stablished Santa Fé as not Nieuw Amsterdam. According what I read the first man speaking English arrived to Santa Fe was general Kearny in 1846 but he was not a British...but a yankee from New Jersey.

Regards

Feb 2016
Japan
L
Austin Brothers were not British.. but yankees... as Pelé is not a Portuguese guy... and not.. dear Royal.. you can´t write here the name of the Treaty where Spain gave Texas to United Kingdom.. because that NEVER happened... ok?
Right. Yanks.
OP says majority of US MAJOR cities were NOT founded by AMERICANS or BRITISH.
List proves that of the top 30 cities 22 (the large majority) were founded by either British, American citizens (including anglo-Texans) or American organisations. Only 8 have non “Anglo” roots.
You claim that the British only founded a couple and that Allen etc were yanks.
YES, yanks. The op claimed they (Americans) did not found most of them.
When they did... and since the op lumps the British and Yanks together so should we as it fits the premise of his argument.
It’s in the title of the thread- most major cities in the US are not US or British... but it’s wrong. 22/30 of the top major cities are US/British in origin.

Feb 2016
Japan
Let’s expand it to 50...
31- Milwaukee - founded by Kilburn, Juneau and Walker. Yanks.
32- Albequerque- Spanish.
33- Tucson - Hugo O’Conner. Irish but acting in Spanish interests.
34- Fresno- Easterby and the Grand Pacific Railroad. Yanks.
35- Mesa- Danial Webster Jones. Yank.
36- Sacramento - American citizen, acting on behalf of Mexico. I’ll count it for both.
37- Atlanta - grew up as a station for the Atlantic railroad. Yanks.
38- Kansas City- I’m unclear. Might be French or Yank Mormons.
39- Colorado Springs- yanks.
40- Miami - Julia Tuttle and Henry Fraglers railroad. Yanks.
41- Raleigh- North Carolina government.
42- Omaha- Yankee prospectors.
43- long Beach- Jotham Bixby. Yank.
44- Virginia Beach- started with Thorogood and Mosley. English colonists.
45- Oakland - Carpentier, Moon and Adams. Yanks.
46- Minneapolis- yank millers and US army.
47- Tulsa- local yanks.
48- Arlington- Yank owned railroad caused its growth.
49- Tampa- US army outpost and yank pioneer community.
50- New Orleans - French.

39/50 US/British in origin.
8/50 Spanish.
2/50 Dutch.
3/50 French.

Bear in mind two cities I counted twice as they had English/Spanish founders or I was unclear on who could be described as the founder.

Last edited:

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
Martin. That Texas was Spanish means nothing when talking about who established cities there after Mexico lost it. And yes. The majority of US cities were founded by Americans of English, Scottish, Irish decent (British decent in other words) only a couple were founded by English people. I used Anglo American to mean English speaking Americans. As the OP lumped these all together.

15- San Francisco- founded by Englishman William Richardson and a Mexican partner.

So I make that 22/30 of the top 30 US cities founded by the English, English speaking Americans, American institutions or organizations run by “Anglo” Americans.
1 Dutch.
1 French.
And 7 Spanish/Mexican.

Though 1 city was co founded by an Englishman AND an Mexican so I’ve counted it for both.
William Richardson was the first to expand the settlement out of the Presidio and the Mission, but he didn't founded the settlement itself. San Francisco counts as Spanish