Most misrepresented figure in history?

Jul 2018
United States
Who do you think has been unjustly misrepresented by history? This can either mean the person was unfairly valorized or demonized.

At Each Kilometer

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
Bulgaria
Marcus Junius Brutus and Gaius Cassius Longinus. In the lowest circle of Dante's Hell eternally eaten by Lucifer's three mouths alongside Judas Iscariot. This circle was reserved for the traitors and these four (Satan included) are the arch-traitors. Brutus and Cassius punished for their assassination of Julius Caesar, who was their rightful ruler.

Last edited:
Oct 2018
Minneapolis, MN
I think in the US this happens with the Civil war quite a bit. Some of the misinformation on people on both ends tends to ignore facts and context greatly. The lost cause myths that have only recently been finding stronger pushback as documented primary source history becomes more available have gotten a strong footing.

Feb 2011
Scotland
Winston Churchill. Despite all the documentation, he is either hailed as a superhuman greatest Briton, or hated on accusations of racism and causing famine.
He was a Great Man, but much of the adulation and hatred is misdirected.

Edric Streona

Ad Honorem
Feb 2016
Japan
Cromwell.... not the butcher he’s made out to be.
Caligula.... too cartoonish. I suspect high high degree of reputation ruining slander, ridicule and propaganda.

Aug 2012
Washington State, USA.
Genghis Khan. The supreme evil of ol' Genghis has really been downplayed a lot by people who who hail his genius as a commander and administrator. I've actually eaten in a restaurant called Genghis Khan's.

You never can tell though. Time sort of removes the offense of people's atrocities, and it becomes just a symbol of human history. Maybe in 100 years there will be a German restaurant called Hitler's.

Reactions: Spike117

Duke Valentino

Ad Honorem
Jul 2017
Australia
I daresay Hitler, if only due to the heavily stereotyped version that is taught about today. For example, most people don't know that he didn't drink or smoke, was a vegetarian, was an animal rights activist, was born into poverty and lived most of his life living on the edge of poverty, was a bookworm, served with distinction in the first World War etc.

Reactions: sparky
Sep 2018
Houston, Texas
Christopher Columbus, Marilyn Monroe, Bob Dylan, and ofcourse Steve Jobs. To name a few of the most overrated people in the history of this planet.

Feb 2011
Scotland
I daresay Hitler, if only due to the heavily stereotyped version that is taught about today. For example, most people don't know that he didn't drink or smoke, was a vegetarian, was an animal rights activist, was born into poverty and lived most of his life living on the edge of poverty, was a bookworm, served with distinction in the first World War etc.
A very interesting view! I'm sure you don't mean that his crimes are misrepresented- do you mean whether he is presented as a multi-faceted (if exceptionally wicked) human being with a life history, rather than a one-dimensional demon?