Most misrepresented figure in history?

Nov 2016
Germany
Because your statement of "probably" is without any evdience.
Strange argument! If probabilities could be evidenced, they would be certainties and not probabilities. Moreover, this is not the place to put forward arguments for the probabilities I have mentioned in detail.

Feb 2019
Thrace
Probably Jesus. I mean he's generally represented as the son/equivalent of an omnipotent cosmic entity.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
Strange argument! If probabilities could be evidenced, they would be certainties and not probabilities. Moreover, this is not the place to put forward arguments for the probabilities I have mentioned in detail.
Hmm arguments advanced of supposition and unfounded speculation do not deserve to have the word "probable".

Nov 2016
Germany
arguments advanced of supposition and unfounded speculation do not deserve to have the word "probable".
Once again, it is probable that men invented the potter's wheel and the cart wheel. Both, in the context of the work involved, required a physical power that men have more than women. Driving a potter's wheel was easier for men than for women, so the potter's wheel only appears in history when men also do pottery. Such wheels weighed up to 150 pounds. Experts in this historical field therefore consider it at least likely that the potter's wheel was invented by men.

As for the cart wheel, the cart was related to the work with large animals that pulled the cart. Because of the greater physical strength of men, working with large animals (oxen) was of course mainly a matter for men, who also dominated in the breeding of large animals. So there is a probability that it was men who invented the cart wheel.

You are welcome to raise objections, but for me this debate is finished, because I have more important things to do.

Last edited:

Kevinmeath

Ad Honoris
May 2011
Navan, Ireland
By being the biggest empire in the world at the time and brutalising its colonies.
This reply makes no sense at all, simply answer the question the British were responsible for the Spanish Flu how?

Yes you did. Are you now going to deny you didn't quote me specifically about British colonies, rather than Neville Chamberlain?
I quoted yourself because you compared Chamberlain to Hitler, (which is simply foolish) you then shoot off on your usual political polemics

You're the one who pushed the debate for this. I didn't tell you to cite me and start this discussion with you.
I asked you to clarify and support your opinions which you failed to do

For God's sake, the point is that saying Mike Davis is wrong for being an "environmental Marxist" is the same as saying a Chinese historian writing about China is wrong for being Chinese. Now, saying Mike Davis is wrong because he ignores China is like saying Robert Conquest is wrong because he ignores the non-Communist Third World that also suffered from horrible famines and genocides. That there are famines elsewhere doesn't mean the British didn't cause them inside their colonies, just like how there being famines outside the Communist world during the Cold War doesn't mean Communist regimes didn't cause their respective famines like Robert Conquest points out. Davis isn't wrong either because of the case of famines in China, as China itself was also devastated by the British in the 19th century.
You haven't read Mike Davis have you?

Mike Davis ie 'wrong' for being an 'Environmental Marxist' because he is not an historian trying to understand and describe the past but someone with a political viewpoint searching the past for events to fit his politics -- now sounds familiar----- and the criticism of him is that he ignores historical facts/events that don't fit his politics. The British 'caused' famines, yet famines also occurred at the same time over which the British had no control would imply other factors were in play.

Reactions: Gvelion

Kevinmeath

Ad Honoris
May 2011
Navan, Ireland
Yes, the British Empire is also not a global empire extending throughout all continents of the world. Therefore they can't be blamed for exacerbating the Spanish Flu.
So no British Empire no Global communication?

You are aware that there were other countries in the world in 1918?

So try answering the question

And again with yelling I'm biased. Repeating this doesn't make me wrong. You refute me by actually attacking my arguments, not blabbering about how I say things you clearly don't like.
I am not 'yelling' anything and you openly admit that you view history through your political philosophy. I can not really attack your arguments most of the time because you don't make any just inaccurate political statements, eg Britain caused the Spanish Flu-- you don't back it up.

Reactions: Gvelion

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
It is derailings like this that make one recognize the value of the ignore option!

I do wish people wouldn't prod a poster when it is plainly obvious that he will give a kneejerk response in accordance with personal prejudices rather than a rational and informed reply; because that will give no basis for any meaningful discussion.

Reactions: Gvelion and sparky