Most misrepresented figure in history?

Feb 2019
Serbia
I do wish people wouldn't prod a poster when it is plainly obvious that he will give a kneejerk response in accordance with personal prejudices rather than a rational and informed reply; because that will give no basis for any meaningful discussion.
These discussions are my guilty pleasure. I don't participate in them often but I do like to read them and see what such a poster would say. I personally know a person that has similar political views and utilises a similar style of discussion. I've tried to discuss with them several times but it was just frustrating. It's much worse to discuss with people like this in real life and verbally than in written form over the internet.

MG1962a

Ad Honorem
Mar 2019
Kansas
Actually the British establish 'famine codes' that were policies to avoid famine that worked so well that they were in place in post 1947 until the 1970's.

They fell apart in the 1940's when a small thing called WWII was in play.
Yeah I was aware the British had contingency plans in place. I was trying to steer our erstwhile poster towards the understanding he was blaming the British for natural disasters, I doubt I succeeded though :(

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
These discussions are my guilty pleasure. I don't participate in them often but I do like to read them and see what such a poster would say. I personally know a person that has similar political views and utilises a similar style of discussion. I've tried to discuss with them several times but it was just frustrating. It's much worse to discuss with people like this in real life and verbally than in written form over the internet.
Yes, I will concede that it can often be interesting to see the manner of a person's thought even if it is not very rational (and often indeed precisely because it is so irrational!): but more in the political sphere, I think, than with regard to history, where it gets in the way of any open-minded and informative discussion. I lose interest at once when I see that someone is paying attenttion to matters of history only to push a political agenda, especially when one can thus tell exactly what he's going to say with regard to any issue.

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Yeah I was aware the British had contingency plans in place. I was trying to steer our erstwhile poster towards the understanding he was blaming the British for natural disasters, I doubt I succeeded though :(
Famines were a weak point, though, with regard to British rule in India, which can be partly ascribed to the minimal nature of that government with the low level of taxation. But blaming the evil British for the flu epeidemic that came in at the end of WW1 is a new one for me!

Reactions: MG1962a

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Yes, I will concede that it can often be interesting to see the manner of a person's thought even if it is not very rational (and often indeed precisely because it is so irrational!): but more in the political sphere, I think, than with regard to history, where it gets in the way of any open-minded and informative discussion. I lose interest at once when I see that someone is paying attenttion to matters of history only to push a political agenda, especially when one can thus tell exactly what he's going to say with regard to any issue.
That style of "discussion" is not conducive to a good atmosphere on this forum, and gets in the way of its primary purpose, which is to discuss and learn about history.

I'm really, really tired of people who use history - and this forum - to push a personal agenda, be it political, national, religious or otherwise. We will be cracking down on this in the new year.

Feb 2011
Scotland
I have my suspicions about the breakup and impact of comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 into Jupiter in 1994.
MI5 has a very long reach....
- and no UK teams had qualified for the World Cup that year.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
I daresay Hitler, if only due to the heavily stereotyped version that is taught about today. For example, most people don't know that he didn't drink or smoke, was a vegetarian, was an animal rights activist, was born into poverty and lived most of his life living on the edge of poverty, was a bookworm, served with distinction in the first World War etc.
The world would have been much better off is he had just been allowed to enter art school and he could have lived out his days as a painter. He wasn’t a bad painter, though I can’t comment on his career as a paper-hanger.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
The world would have been much better off is he had just been allowed to enter art school and he could have lived out his days as a painter. He wasn’t a bad painter, though I can’t comment on his career as a paper-hanger.
poor Architectural drawings of buildings mostly. He simply did not do the work to prepare a decent protfolio.

Last edited: