Most Needed Tool For Teachers?

Nov 2009
Kentucky
I'm not a history teacher but I have a degree in the subject and I have often considered teaching. My question is, when those of you who are teachers are in the classroom are there any tools you wish you had? Would replica's of the Parthenon or a trebuchet be useful since there are hands on? Maybe a cheap map of the area you are studying that each student could have? I'm not selling anything but I'm curious what you all feel would be helpful in bridging the gap that often exists with some students.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Enthusiasm.

If you have that you have everything.
Excellent answer!

It comes from years of faking it. :lol:
That one is not so good… but still does the job! :D

EDIT:

On a more serious note to Kirkpatrick,

If the students feel that you are committed. If they feel that you aren’t there just chanting dates and events, but really explaining things to them and teaching them how to think and explore history and the word… the probability that they will also commit is much stronger.

Last edited:
Oct 2014
California, USA
I'm homeschooling history...and one area I've found lacking is historical storybooks (fictional picture-books) covering life in Mesopotamia...just not a lot out there I've found. So if anyone wanted to do that--awesome.

A children's book on Bartolomé de las Casas is another thing I'd love to see. I've actually considered writing one.

Jul 2017
London
I'm not a history teacher but I have a degree in the subject and I have often considered teaching. My question is, when those of you who are teachers are in the classroom are there any tools you wish you had? Would replica's of the Parthenon or a trebuchet be useful since there are hands on? Maybe a cheap map of the area you are studying that each student could have? I'm not selling anything but I'm curious what you all feel would be helpful in bridging the gap that often exists with some students.
Successfully teaching history all revolves around preparation, subject knowledge, engagement and as another user said, enthusiasm (even the fake kind is enough). Many students don't see the point of history, I suspect their parents have told them it's a waste of time, but via mastery of story-telling you can win them over and save them from the ancient evil that is geography :D.

Similar History Discussions