most opressive pre modern state or nation ?

Feb 2019
Thrace
That's interesting. What evidence does the article use?

Although I only know a little bit about the Assyrians, I do question the efficiency of their approach. I mean, yes they created the largest empire that the world had yet seen, but it seems to me that the Assyrians spent an awful lot of time putting down rebellions. Maybe there was too much stick and not enough carrot in their approach?
Hmmm, can't find it right now. Iirc it had something to do with accounts of being haunted by the ghosts of their enemies and several other visions of their wars, which the article said were classic PTSD symptoms.

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia, EU
Cromwellian England was pretty oppressive.

Tokugawa Japan wasn't exactly oppressive but it exercised a great deal of control over its citizen's lives.
Were not samurais cutting heads of lower castes for smallest offenses? I think that someone needed a passport to go to adjacent province of Japan.

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia, EU
"Pre-modern" is before the 18th century (enlightenment) at the earliest. You canĀ“t call centuries "modern" when thousands of women and men were tortured and burned alive as alleged witches and sorcerers. But even in the 18th century such and similar things happened (Inquisition). So to say "before the 19th century" makes sense.
Outbursts of massive witch hunts and burning on stakes were sporadic and not a practice as usual. I've read somewhere that a zealous clergy man (inquisitor) was needed as well as a weak secular lord who was manipulated by clergy. In most cases not so weak secular lord ordered "Stop!" to clergy and it ended fast. Worst cases were in Holy Roman Empire with many small lordships. Spanish inquisition was skeptical about witches, they were mostly after heretics (protestants).

All together it was in a range of one Katyin in three or four centuries. Left which has a hold over social sciences loves to talk about witch-hunts and loves to keep quiet about Katyns.

Last edited:

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
papal inquisitors traveling the Rhineland were shocked and appalled at the lack of judicial rigor of the witches trials
they thought it was hysteria pure and simple

Similar History Discussions