Most outstanding leaders of the 15th century

Feb 2019
Thrace
They can be both political and military leaders. Which of them had the most amazing legacies in the 15th century?

In the Americas we have: Moctezuma I and Pachacuti
In Western Europe we have: the 2 John's of Portugal, Joan of Arc and Henry V of England
In Eastern Europe we have: Vlad the Impaler, John Hunyadi, Skanderbeg, Ivan III the Great and Stephen the Great
In the Middle East we have: Timur the Great, Shah Rukh, Ulugh Beg, Selim and Mehmed the Conqueror
In the Indian subcontinent we have: Kumbha of Merwar
In Eastern Asia we have: the Yongle and Xuande Emperors, Sejong the Great and Le Loi

Are there other, even more exceptional leaders I missed?

Aug 2012
Henry VII of England, perhaps? Ended a costly dynastic conflict, curbed the power of the nobles who started said conflict, far more interested in trade than warfare and ran a frugal government rather than wasting the money of his people on pointless extravagance - like his oafish pig of a son.

I see you mentioned Timur the Lame, too. And though he died at the very start of the 15th Century, that's a very good suggestion. Quite possibly one of the greatest military commanders in history, who was more or less undefeated. Culturally, he was a disaster, and did great harm to Baghdad, and in that regard we should probably be thankful he never reached China as he intended.

Mar 2016
Antalya
I disagree with Vlad the Impaler. He was a half-sane mediocrity. Not sure why is he on the list. Selim is also half-sane, but at least incredibly successful and a fine soldier. Intellectually, Mehmed is a better, smarter individual but I like Selim for his endurance. He did not mind long campaigns. A true soldier he is.

Feb 2019
Thrace
I disagree with Vlad the Impaler. He was a half-sane mediocrity. Not sure why is he on the list.
Maybe half-sane but definitely not mediocre. He was a shrewd military leader, and had Matthias Corvinus supported him against the Turks, we would probably mention him as the most notable man of the century.

Last edited:
Aug 2012
I disagree with Vlad the Impaler. He was a half-sane mediocrity. Not sure why is he on the list. Selim is also half-sane, but at least incredibly successful and a fine soldier. Intellectually, Mehmed is a better, smarter individual but I like Selim for his endurance. He did not mind long campaigns. A true soldier he is.
Vlad enforced the rule of law, often through sheer brutality, but he got it done. He also promoted members of the peasantry, rather than the treacherous Boyars who had ill-served previous rulers. Militarily, he was a master of psychological warfare.
Considering the size of his lands, his accomplishments warrant at least acknowledgement. And as for being half-sane? I don't see it. Cruel and cunning, yes, I won't deny that. But he was in command of his senses, unlike say Henry VI or Charles the Mad.

Similar History Discussions