Most outstanding leaders of the 15th century

Feb 2019
Thrace
I'm still working on my timeline of the "greatest man alive". Would this chronology be accurate for the 15th century?

Timur - Yongle Emperor - Jan Zizka - John I of Portugal - Xuande Emperor - Shah Rukh - Kumbha of Mewar - Skanderbeg - Mehmed the Conqueror - John II of Portugal - Leonardo da Vinci

Have to say that it's not supposed to be a comprehensive list of all the great historical figures of time. The fewer and more outstanding, the better. And it's supposed to be from the perspective of a well learned traveler with no patriotic bias from that period(or a series of them since it's an entire century), hence there are mostly military leaders/rulers. Suggestions?

Mar 2016
Australia
She wasn't a leader, though, in any official sense. Certainly not comparable to the actual monarchs you listed. She wasn't even a general, despite the popular misconception. She was a famous figurehead for the French army in a time of crisis, and lifted morale with her presence and the legend attached to her (and intentionally fostered by the French king). France was still ruled by Charles VII, and the French armies were still commanded by his nobles and professional generals.

Selim I ruled from 1512 to 1520, not in the 15th century.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Elisabeth I and Ferdinand II.. they were the most outstanding people from 15th Century and elisabeth the most important queen on history...
not in vain, the Queen in chess is based on Elisabeth of Castilla...and everybody know who was the "prince" Machiavelli was talking... Elisabeth and Ferdinand took a country devastated by civil war.. and they turned into a great power... and the base for the universal power...they drove French out from Italy. they unified the country ... they finally defeated Islam, they laid a solid foundation of friendship with Portugal and discovered a new world ... who did more in less time?

Nov 2010
Cornwall
Elisabeth I and Ferdinand II.. they were the most outstanding people from 15th Century and elisabeth the most important queen on history...
not in vain, the Queen in chess is based on Elisabeth of Castilla...and everybody know who was the "prince" Machiavelli was talking... Elisabeth and Ferdinand took a country devastated by civil war.. and they turned into a great power... and the base for the universal power...they drove French out from Italy. they unified the country ... they finally defeated Islam, they laid a solid foundation of friendship with Portugal and discovered a new world ... who did more in less time?
Techically several countries, not 'a country' my old friend eh?. Mind you another civil war was just around the corner - La de las Comunidades. Toti Martinex de Lezea did a great historical novel on Maria Pacheco, La Comunera. I like most of her books. Though I'm struggling a bit with Jardin de la Oca

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
I really think this should also take into account the goals of every individual leader. For example, Mehmed II wanted to expand his empire and he did so, therefore he was an outstanding leader. However, other rulers had humbler goals. For example, Serbian Despots Stefan Lazarević and Đurađ Branković wanted to preserve Serbia and save it from being completely subjugated by the Ottomans (or Hungary). They succeeded in this, although not without loss of territory and people. So, they could also be listed as leaders that accomplished their goals under very difficult circumstances. That is also outstanding.

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia, EU
They can be both political and military leaders. Which of them had the most amazing legacies in the 15th century?

In the Americas we have: Moctezuma I and Pachacuti
In Western Europe we have: the 2 John's of Portugal, Joan of Arc and Henry V of England
In Eastern Europe we have: Vlad the Impaler, John Hunyadi, Skanderbeg, Ivan III the Great and Stephen the Great
In the Middle East we have: Timur the Great, Shah Rukh, Ulugh Beg, Selim and Mehmed the Conqueror
In the Indian subcontinent we have: Kumbha of Merwar
In Eastern Asia we have: the Yongle and Xuande Emperors, Sejong the Great and Le Loi

Are there other, even more exceptional leaders I missed?
Timur and Jan Zizka as no. 1 and 2. Others may rank behind them.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Louis XI is a favorite of mine , like Edward VII he eschewed feudal frippery for the real font of power
military , caution and money , both played the long game
in both Western and Easter Europe Feudalism was on it's last leg , replaced by central authority
Mattias Corvinus and his royal Black Army definitely fit in this line

Theodoric

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
Cosimo de Medici - the father of the modern world. He was a banker from Florence whose impact set off ripples that would send Europe on a new path. Primarily, it was looking to the future for greater times instead of the past. Some mentioned Lorenzo, but Lorenzo merely inherited what Cosimo built.

1. He bought out the Papacy, his agents turned it into a mob helped turned faith into a business via the selling of indulgences. This would lead to the Protestant revolution which really took off in the next century.

2. Patron of architects, painters, technological researchers, writers, and sculptors. He was the Patron of Donatello, sculptor and master of the bo staff.

3. He worked to renew the culture of the Romans and Greeks, and really kicked off what we call the renaissance.

4. His architects completed the dome of the Florence Cathedral (Santa Maria Del Fiore). Which is one of the greatest achievements of the century.

5. Construction of the Florentine Palazzo. Basically he built the house of the Medicis and the renaissance.

6. Employed scribes on an industrial scale to begin Europe’s modern secular libraries. Full of philosophy and knowledge of the old world, as well as the new knowledge.

7. Father of modern propaganda - While the term “The dark ages” was not coined by Cosimo, he really pushed the concept of a rebirth of the Roman culture, while everything that happened in between was a period of darkness. Through literature and propaganda he achieved this, elevating the stature of the house of Medici, and expanding their power over Europe: the Medicis would be Popes and Monarchs down the road.

8. Platonic Academy of Florence - he was a big proponent of Greek philosophy. He opened the Platonic academy of Florence and attracted the intellectuals of Europe to his court. It was here that his grandson Lorenzo was educated.

I think Giovanni De Bicci De Medici deserves some credit too for founding the Medici bank, but it was under Cosimo that the Medici family really flourished.

Similar History Discussions