Most outstanding leaders of the 15th century

Oct 2013
Europix
Maybe half-sane but definitely not mediocre. He was a shrewd military leader, and had Matthias Corvinus supported him against the Turks, we would probably mention him as the most notable man of the century.
I disagree.

It's the most notable more because it's legend than because if what he accomplished.

His two neighbours were way in a "higher league" : King Matthias of Hungary and King Stephen of Moldova.

Matthias was imposed as king as a result of internal quarrels between different factions, imposed as a good "puppet": he was 14 when became king.

It was a miscalculation: he wasn't a puppet. And he became if not the greatest Hungarian King, definitely one of the greatest. King of Hungary and Croatia, King of Bohemia, Duke of Austria.

Stephen of Moldova (a fugitive), manged to (re)take the throne in 1457 and remained on it until his death, in 1504.

He was reigning when OE (south) was at its European pic, Kingdom of Hungary (west) was at his pic, Poland (at North) was on it's rise, getting stronger and stronger, Crimeean Khanate (east) was still dangerous.

He managed to defeat all of them, he managed through diplomacy to "re-rise" when defeated.

In that period, in that context, reigning for 47 years, for me is one of the most extraordinary accomplishments in Europe.

Both contemporary of Vlad the impaler, I'd say that they had a diplimatic skill at a level that Vlad laked. Tis why I say they were in another league.

Last edited:

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
He was comparing Louis to Charles VII.

Don't need to bring up Spain into every conversation.
The treat is about outstanding leaders in 15th Century... i thinkg. But if you are talking about Lous and Charles.. i will copy your words and I am going to say that it is not necessary to bring up France into every conversation.... +1 dear Gvelion.

Sep 2016
Georgia
The treat is about outstanding leaders in 15th Century... i thinkg. But if you are talking about Lous and Charles.. i will copy your words and I am going to say that it is not necessary to bring up France into every conversation.... +1 dear Gvelion.
Futurist was asking if Louis XI was greater than Charles VII. I fail to see what that question has to do with Ferdinand. However, you for some reason said that he can't be compared with Ferdinand in response.

Similar History Discussions