Most Overrated General

Oct 2016
Merryland
in defense of Robert E. Lee
outnumbered in every battle; used skill and tactics to beat numerous invaders.
not his fault so many of his early opponents were mediocre. as in football, you play what's on the schedule.
hampered in last half of war by dwindling supplies and support.
Grant had the numbers and the support and shrewdly used them.
and to his credit, when surrendering Marse Robert told his troops to put down their guns and go home. no guerillas or insurgency.

Sep 2016
Georgia
I mean, the Persians of Alexander's day were quite weak operationally and tactically (though I give them a hell of a lot more credit than most), but that doesn't mean Alexander wasn't a good strategist for exploiting that.
Alexander didn't only fight against Persians and even managed to achieve victory in guerilla warfare during his Sogdian campaign, for example.

Also, Persians still were close to beating Alexander at Gaugamela and created major threat with their fleet.

Jul 2017
Australia
Alexander didn't only fight against Persians and even managed to achieve victory in guerilla warfare during his Sogdian campaign, for example.
I'm using the Persians as an example, never said Alexander didn't campaign against other people, which is obvious he did.

Also, Persians still were close to beating Alexander at Gaugamela and created major threat with their fleet.
Memnon's fleet operations would have spelt disaster for Alexander had he not died suddenly, yes. Like I said, I give the Persians a lot more credit than most people do.

Sep 2016
Georgia
Memnon's fleet operations would have spelt disaster for Alexander had he not died suddenly, yes. Like I said, I give the Persians a lot more credit than most people do.
Persians still continued operations on the sea after Memnon's death and Alexander had to take measures. Darius defeat at Issus and Alexander's strategy brought down the Persian fleet.

Also, many actual historians give Persians credit. Those ,, most people '' are amateurs and casuals, who are more interested in just ,, Hot takes ''.

Last edited:
Nov 2011
The Bluff
I'm using the Persians as an example, never said Alexander didn't campaign against other people, which is obvious he did.

Yet you still fall for the weak/decaying Persian meme.

May 2019
United States
General MacArthur is really overrated, at least here in the US. He botched the defense of the Philippines, pardoned numerous war criminals, botched the Korean War by dragging China into the fight, and was eventually sacked and replaced by Ridgeway (a far more competent general).

Jan 2015
Front Lines of the Pig War
General MacArthur is really overrated, at least here in the US. He botched the defense of the Philippines, pardoned numerous war criminals, botched the Korean War by dragging China into the fight, and was eventually sacked and replaced by Ridgeway (a far more competent general).
MacArthur was better at PR than military strategy...

May 2018
Michigan
Otherwise known as: Everybody in this thread (some being much worse offenders than others, that shall not be named...)
Yeah, I don't think anyone here has been a general officer in any real military. Even those of us who were mid-level NCO's in combat comes nowhere near the responsibility, pressure or sheer level of power held by a general commanding an army in the field.

Similar History Discussions