Most painful territorial losses

Sep 2012
India
To his credit, he apparently played an important role in preserving the Asiatic Lion from extinction.
While it is true that the only place in Asia where the Lion survives ( and even thrives ) is the large area under scrub forest near the city of Junagadh, I don't know how it's
loony ex-ruler was in any way concerned with the preservation of Lion.

While it is true that the only place in Asia where the Lion survives ( and even thrives ) is the large area under scrub forest near the city of Junagadh, I don't know how it's
loony ex-ruler was in any way concerned with the preservation of Lion.
I came across it when out of curiousity I read the wiki article, but by your own admission the man was an animal lover (he certainly loved his dogs).

Last edited:

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
I would say Cuba and Puerto Rico.. both they are Spain... as Spanish soil as Madrid, Barcelona or Oviedo... in the middel of the Caribeean Sea.
Cubans and Puertoriqueños are regarded as Spaniards as people from Majorca or Canary islands...and I am talking about 2019 and also a Peninsular is not a foreigner in La Habana or in San Juan..

Winston Churchill in 1895... Cuba is not a Spanish Dominion... Cuba is Spain!

As it is said in this Habanera... Cádiz is La Habana and Havana is Cadis...

Did you know that FRANCO and CASTRO.. remember both they are from Galicia had great links....although one was communist and the other one anticomunist... but both Spaniards rulling Spain.. one Peninsula. The other one.... Spain settled in Caribean Sea.

When Mao died in 1976... happened nothing in Cuba.. when FRANCO died in 1975... CASTRO declared three days of official mourning..From Santiago to Pinar del Río...

The Special relations between West Indies and Spain have continued till today 2019.. in fact, they are few people in Cuba they want to organize a referendum to Cuba back to Spain.. as Comunidad Autónoma (Autonomus Comunity) as Canary Islands...they want a Spanish Cuba again.

The book Cuba Española un proyecto para el siglo XXI (Spanish Cuba. A projecto for 21st Century).

Cuba Española en el siglo XXI (21st Century Spanish Cuba)... . people from Cuba, Puerto Rico, Philippines and Marianas (Guam) are Spaniards! because they were
Illegitimately deprived of their Spanish nationality by the US (that´s is their point). USA didn´t make any referendum about if they wanted to continue being Spaniards or if they wanted to continue under Spanish soverignty... because USA know.. they would have lost referendum.. in 1900 around 96% inhabitants in Puerto Rico, 82% in Cuba wanted to continue being Spain..

Here official Cuban Consulate: Spanish nationality of Cuban Population...

a Cuban speaking why a Spanish Cuba again. (He says people from Cuba, Puerto Rico and Philippines are Spaniards... because they were Illegitimately deprived of their nationality by USA (in fact, they are thinking to take legal actions against US government).

Another Cuban video about to make a referendum after Communist collapse.. they want a Spanish Cuban again).

And this is Puerto Rico... in the island "la madre patria" (Motherland) is not USA.. but Spain... 407 years... it is not possible to erase in 120 years...

Here Puertorriqueños talking about Puerto Rico back again to Spain as Canary...now they are only 30.000 but who knows... in 1900.. it was 96% wanted to back to Spain and US didn´t make any "referemdum"... Why?

So , I would say the painful territorial loss... CUBA, PUERTO RICO and FILIPINAS.

Sep 2012
India
I came across it when out of curiousity I read the wiki article, but by your own admission the man was an animal lover (he certainly loved his dogs).
Nobody loves dogs to the extent of celebrating their ' marriages ' and ' honeymoon nights ' with royal pomp and discarding one's wives and children in lieu of dogs. This sort of love is known as Obsession. Maybe it is known as Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Hardly the person to consider a sanctuary for the Gir
Lion or the only representative of the Asiatic Lion.

Nobody loves dogs to the extent of celebrating their ' marriages ' and ' honeymoon nights ' with royal pomp and discarding one's wives and children in lieu of dogs. This sort of love is known as Obsession. Maybe it is known as Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Hardly the person to consider a sanctuary for the Gir
Lion or the only representative of the Asiatic Lion.
The same person couldn't be obsessed with lions? Or at least have a strong interest in lions? Or just like animals in general? It sounds quite believable to me that a person obsessed with his dogs could develop an interest in conservation.

Last edited: