Most painful territorial losses

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Which territorial losses were arguably the most painful for the country that was losing territory to swallow?
The independence of Brazil for Portugal.

Portugal had been in a union called “United Kingdom of Portugal, Brazil and the Algarves” with Brazil and the independence of such a huge territory, were the court had been established for more than a decade was a terrible blow for the country and the end of what is called the Second Empire.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Finland: Eastern Karelia after the winter war 1939.
Denmark: Schleswig / Holstein in 1864 although we got the northern part of Schleswig back in 1920, but not down to the iconic Dannevirke.
Denmark: Skåne 1658
Why was the loss of Skane/Scania so hurtful to Denmark?

Also, in regards to eastern Karelia, Finland hasn't actually put forward a claim to it after 1991. While it said that it is willing to discuss the return of this territory if Russia wants to discuss this, it is nevertheless not going to actively seek a return of this territory.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
There are a few examples that dip into the real of current politics and are post-1991 so I will not mention them.

In history we have Britain losing the 13 Colonies. Spain losing Gibraltar (A small territory but strategically vital.) along with the rest of its European holdings. France losing its First Colonial Empire and Sweden losing its Baltic territories in the Great Northern War.
Which of these territories were directly annexed to the metropole, though?

Nov 2018
Denmark
I see Sweden's loss of the Eastern Half of the Realm in 1809 is conspicuously missing ;)
It was not on purpose.
I am going to bed and almost sleeping and just wanted to contribute my five cents.
Yes, the loss of Finland was just as much a loss for the Swedes as the loss of Norway for the Danes.
Now I think we've got all the painful losses in the Nordic countries. :crying:

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
It was not on purpose.
I am going to bed and almost sleeping and just wanted to contribute my five cents.
Yes, the loss of Finland was just as much a loss for the Swedes as the loss of Norway for the Danes.
At least your territorial losses stayed within the family, though! ;)

Apr 2018
Upland, Sweden
It was not on purpose.
I was just joking around - I didn't really think you were. :)

Yes, I agree we all have. Un-necessarily much I'd argue tbh... but that's a whole other discussion...

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
You can see Gibraltar as one and the rest of the Spanish territories. Swedish territories directly annexed to Russia count too, the rest are colonial acquisitions.
OK; makes sense.

BTW, do you think that a lot of Swedes would have settled in Livonia and Estonia had Sweden kept control over these territories?

Similar History Discussions