Most powerful country in Mainland Europe in 1914-1915?

Most powerful mainland European power in 1914?

• France

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • German Empire

Votes: 28 84.8%
  • Russia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Austria-Hungary

• Spain

• Ottoman-Empire

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other

• Total voters

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
The German Empire. How is this even up for discussion? They almost defeated the French and captured Paris in a couple of weeks, and that was at the same time as they had mobilized massive amounts of troops on the other side of the continent to fight the enormous power of the Russian Empire (which they later actually defeated).
I do agree with you about Germany being the most powerful country in Europe in 1914-1915, but I'd like to note that Germany only defeated Russia as a result of Bolshevik defeatists demoralizing the Russian soldiers and later as a result of Russia's military collapsing as a result of the November 1917 Bolshevik coup.

holoow

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Vilnius, Lithuania
German Empire was the most powerful country in the world in 1914. US was only slightly stronger economically and British Empire had superior naval power but Germany had strongest army and superior industry ( especially chemical ).

Jan 2017
Italy, EU
Honestly this questions should be between three: Germany, France and Russia. And Germans win easily because they had a massive military-industrial complex behind them. Austria was not as strong as the others, but we often diminish its position too much. Italy was the "least of the major powers" and the Ottoman Empire was the "sick man of Europe". Spain should not even be in the poll as it was way weaker than Austria or Italy, and out of system of alliances pre-WW1.

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
Like others said, in the early war Germany was the best. Britain may have a better professional army man for man, but those soon disappeared in the meatgrinder the war has become. Germany was actually somewhat advanced compared to France in its red pants and thick woolen jackets, making good use of the railway infrastructure and so on. Also, just look how far they got in the early months of ww1. If you put Germany vs France alone, Germany eats France for breakfast. Later on the French got a lot more innovative though, recognising some of the right concepts in tank design, infantry tactics - more so or at least sooner than the Brits, I'd say. Towards the end of the war the Germans are basically starved out, both of food and raw materials while the French are equipping almost everyone in the Entente with their equipment. But since the question is about 1914, it's a nobrainer: Germany.

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
Well, wasn't the Ottoman Sultan the Caliph of the Muslim world? If so, he could theoretically tap into the manpower of the entire Muslim world! ;)
By chance, last night I got to watch the film "The Ottoman Lieutenant" for the first time yesterday. It was much better than the reviews led to me to expect. (Though some dialog regarding which side was on the offensive during Fall '14 seemed exactly incorrect to me.)

Similar History Discussions