Most powerful country in Mainland Europe in 1914-1915?

Most powerful mainland European power in 1914?

• France

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • German Empire

Votes: 28 84.8%
  • Russia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Austria-Hungary

• Spain

• Ottoman-Empire

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other

• Total voters

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
By chance, last night I got to watch the film "The Ottoman Lieutenant" for the first time yesterday. It was much better than the reviews led to me to expect. (Though some dialog regarding which side was on the offensive during Fall '14 seemed exactly incorrect to me.)
What's the film about?

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
For me, it's unquestionably the German Empire. France had a strong military force, but I believe what separated the German Empire from France its military leadership and its rail transport system, that allowed Germany to quickly and efficiently move its troops across its empire and across much of the continent.

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
Yep. which is why the US was able to defeat it so easily in 1898.
In 1898 was not so weak, the land army was in better shape than is usually considered, while the navy had some capabilities and personnel (certain not those in higher ranks)

The situation in 1914 was calamitous

May 2015
The Netherlands
I do agree with you about Germany being the most powerful country in Europe in 1914-1915, but I'd like to note that Germany only defeated Russia as a result of Bolshevik defeatists demoralizing the Russian soldiers and later as a result of Russia's military collapsing as a result of the November 1917 Bolshevik coup.
To be fair, Germany didn't actually try to defeat Russia after the latter's Great Retreat in 1915. The Central Powers deliberately halted their advance and shifted their attention to other fronts.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
To be fair, Germany didn't actually try to defeat Russia after the latter's Great Retreat in 1915. The Central Powers deliberately halted their advance and shifted their attention to other fronts.
I will grant that it's possible that Germany could have militarily defeated Russia had it continued to focus on the East after 1915. Still, I wonder if Russia would have actually been willing to capitulate if it would have lost both Petrograd and Moscow and if the US had already entered the war by that point in time.

Similar History Discussions