Most powerful country in Mainland Europe in 1914-1915?

Most powerful mainland European power in 1914?

• France

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • German Empire

Votes: 39 86.7%
  • Russia

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Austria-Hungary

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spain

• Ottoman-Empire

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Other

• Total voters

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
By chance, last night I got to watch the film "The Ottoman Lieutenant" for the first time yesterday. It was much better than the reviews led to me to expect. (Though some dialog regarding which side was on the offensive during Fall '14 seemed exactly incorrect to me.)
What's the film about?

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
For me, it's unquestionably the German Empire. France had a strong military force, but I believe what separated the German Empire from France its military leadership and its rail transport system, that allowed Germany to quickly and efficiently move its troops across its empire and across much of the continent.

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
Yep. which is why the US was able to defeat it so easily in 1898.
In 1898 was not so weak, the land army was in better shape than is usually considered, while the navy had some capabilities and personnel (certain not those in higher ranks)

The situation in 1914 was calamitous

May 2015
The Netherlands
I do agree with you about Germany being the most powerful country in Europe in 1914-1915, but I'd like to note that Germany only defeated Russia as a result of Bolshevik defeatists demoralizing the Russian soldiers and later as a result of Russia's military collapsing as a result of the November 1917 Bolshevik coup.
To be fair, Germany didn't actually try to defeat Russia after the latter's Great Retreat in 1915. The Central Powers deliberately halted their advance and shifted their attention to other fronts.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
To be fair, Germany didn't actually try to defeat Russia after the latter's Great Retreat in 1915. The Central Powers deliberately halted their advance and shifted their attention to other fronts.
I will grant that it's possible that Germany could have militarily defeated Russia had it continued to focus on the East after 1915. Still, I wonder if Russia would have actually been willing to capitulate if it would have lost both Petrograd and Moscow and if the US had already entered the war by that point in time.

Aug 2019
Turkey
Not true.

The French army has the best army and the best equipment in 1918 (including the Renault FT tank), the American army in 1918 was equipped with French weapons (the british too, but less).

And later, in 1920, it also proved its effectiveness during the Battle of Warsaw by helping the Poles, and the Battle of the Rif by helping the Spaniards.

For the American, during the battle of st mihel the French gave them 144 FT renault tank, 3000 guns and 500 aircraft

In 1918 French equipment was superior in every aspect to German equipment, whether tanks, machine guns or others.

I do not deny that in 1914, 1915, 1916, 1917 the German army was superior (less after 1916), but with the French technological innovations of 1918 it was no longer so.

"The Renault FT tank was the best designed battle tank of the entire war, both efficient and economical and adapted to mass industrial production. He played a leading role in the offensives of 1918, when he received the popular name of "Victory Tank".

Char Renault FT — Wikipédia

The WWI tank that helped change warfare forever

Tanks in World War I - Wikipedia

Battle of Soissons (1918) - Wikipedia

"In July 1918, the French used 480 tanks (mostly FTs) at the Battle of Soissons, and there were even larger assaults planned for the next year. In Plan 1919, the Entente hoped to commit over 30,000 tanks to battle in that year."

Tanks were the most important weapons in 1918, and the Germans never understood it! the 1919 plan was largely based on tanks, because the British understood that it was the key to victory Plan 1919 - Wikipedia

The Germans have been badly manhandled by this tank, in 1918 France also has better aircraft, better artillery, and believe it or not, France has not only air superiority, but produces more planes than the Germans (in 1918). The Aircraft of World War I - Statistics

René Fonck - Wikipedia (the greatest WW1 ace)

In 1918 the germans don't have tanks, don't have good artillery (in 1914 yes, but with french innovation of 1918, the germans were backward), don't have good planes ect , in 1918 British and French have a total technological superiority over the germans.

I repeat, the German army was the best in 1914 and 1915 (and it was rather their equipment than their army that was better in 1914 and 1915, because the French repelled them at the Battle of the Marne despite the German technological superiority in 1914, and I am not even talking about the First Battle of Ypres where the Germans outnumbered the allies by nearly 1 million men and did not even manage to advance)

But certainly not in 1918, who can believe that the German army, totally technologically backward (in 1918) without tank, was the best in 1918.
Well,i think it was still Germany until armistice.Germans captured half of France's steel-coal and heavy industry during the Schlieffen Plan.France borrowed so much money from the UK and US.France imported their most of resources from British Empire to war production.Without this helps France would be collapse in 1915.Also Rene Fonck is not greatest ace it was Red Baron(Manfred Von Richthofen).Rene Fonck's confirmed number is 75 aircraft while Red Baron's 80.France had only 178 ace pilots during the war while Germany had nearly 400.Lists of World War I flying aces - Wikipedia
France produced more tanks and planes than Germany its okay(becuase Germany not interested tanks and they lacked in rubber so much)but what about small arms.artillery and artillery shell production?Germany had more artillery guns than France-Britain combined even destruction of 6700 German pieces in Hundred Days Offensive in November of 1918.
Germany produced 7.2 million rifles during the War while France only produced 2.8 million rifle and borrowed so much rifle from US and UK.Also Germans produced more heavy mgs than any other country.UK produced about 3.9 million and yeah Germany produced more than this twos combined.Rifles | International Encyclopedia of the First World War (WW1)

Aug 2019
Turkey
Not true.

The French army has the best army and the best equipment in 1918 (including the Renault FT tank), the American army in 1918 was equipped with French weapons (the british too, but less).

And later, in 1920, it also proved its effectiveness during the Battle of Warsaw by helping the Poles, and the Battle of the Rif by helping the Spaniards.

For the American, during the battle of st mihel the French gave them 144 FT renault tank, 3000 guns and 500 aircraft

In 1918 French equipment was superior in every aspect to German equipment, whether tanks, machine guns or others.

I do not deny that in 1914, 1915, 1916, 1917 the German army was superior (less after 1916), but with the French technological innovations of 1918 it was no longer so.

"The Renault FT tank was the best designed battle tank of the entire war, both efficient and economical and adapted to mass industrial production. He played a leading role in the offensives of 1918, when he received the popular name of "Victory Tank".

Char Renault FT — Wikipédia

The WWI tank that helped change warfare forever

Tanks in World War I - Wikipedia

Battle of Soissons (1918) - Wikipedia

"In July 1918, the French used 480 tanks (mostly FTs) at the Battle of Soissons, and there were even larger assaults planned for the next year. In Plan 1919, the Entente hoped to commit over 30,000 tanks to battle in that year."

Tanks were the most important weapons in 1918, and the Germans never understood it! the 1919 plan was largely based on tanks, because the British understood that it was the key to victory Plan 1919 - Wikipedia

The Germans have been badly manhandled by this tank, in 1918 France also has better aircraft, better artillery, and believe it or not, France has not only air superiority, but produces more planes than the Germans (in 1918). The Aircraft of World War I - Statistics

René Fonck - Wikipedia (the greatest WW1 ace)

In 1918 the germans don't have tanks, don't have good artillery (in 1914 yes, but with french innovation of 1918, the germans were backward), don't have good planes ect , in 1918 British and French have a total technological superiority over the germans.

I repeat, the German army was the best in 1914 and 1915 (and it was rather their equipment than their army that was better in 1914 and 1915, because the French repelled them at the Battle of the Marne despite the German technological superiority in 1914, and I am not even talking about the First Battle of Ypres where the Germans outnumbered the allies by nearly 1 million men and did not even manage to advance)

But certainly not in 1918, who can believe that the German army, totally technologically backward (in 1918) without tank, was the best in 1918.
Well,Red Baron is the greates ace of WW1.Also Germans had more aces than France with approx 400 compare 178 for France.Lists of World War I flying aces - Wikipedia What are you talking about dude? France was produced more aircraft and tanks than Germany(because Germans not interested tanks and they lacked in rubber)but how about production of artillery and small arms?Germany had not good artillery in 1918?Are you kidding?Operation Michael was largest artillery barrage of WW1 by far.6600 German Guns and 3500 Mortars fired 3.5 million shells in just 5 hours.Germans had more artillery guns than France-Britain combined(Germans had 19.000 active pieces in the end of the War while France had only 10.000 and Britain had only 6700) in time of Armistice even destruction of 6700 German pieces in Hundred Days Offensive .
(Just watch this video and think again).Germany produced 7.2 million rifle during 1914-1918 while France produced only 2.8 million rifle(but imported so many rifles from USA)and Britain produced about 3.9 million.So,Germans produced more rifles than Britain-France combined.Rifles | International Encyclopedia of the First World War (WW1) Also Germans produced more heavy machine guns than any other country.Germany captured half of France's heavy industry and production of steel-coal in 1914.France imported so many raw materials to war production from US and British Empire.Without this imports France would be collapsed in 1915-16.France's nominal GDP nearly half of Germany's nominal GDP.Central Powes produced more artillery pieces than the Allies.Why the Battle of the Somme marks a turning point of World War I (So,Central Powers produced more guns than Allies about more %20-25.)French air force in 1918 was largest air force in the World and they built best tanks of the war but please accept Germans had most powerful army by firepower during 1914-1918.

Similar History Discussions