Most powerful Warsaw Pact country after USSR?

Most powerful warsaw pact power after USSR?

• Albania

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bulgaria

• Czechoslovakia

• East Germany

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Hungary

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Poland

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Romania

• Total voters
Oct 2014
Toronto
Which eastern bloc nation held the most sway/power in the warsaw pact after the USSR? I've heard arguments for East Germany (being the showroom nation for the eastern bloc, being relatively wealthy compared to other eastern bloc nations) and Poland as well.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I would think Poland due to its large population and also due to Poland's need to maintain a strong army to protect itself from the threat of German revanchism in the event of German unification.

Dec 2011
Iowa USA
The wording of the question is about "sway", and it seems that when Gen. Jaruzelski and his mates ended the dictatorship in Warsaw, the regimes in Prague and Budapest accelerated their liberalization. I have heard that the standard of living was higher in Czechoslovakia and E. Germany than Poland during the '70s and '80s but, still, when the S.U. didn't attempt to squelch the movement away from the Soviets in Poland it seems to have been interpreted as a change in status quo. Interesting question, no doubt.

Sep 2012
Bulgaria
Albania is a special case. This country withdrew its support in 1961 due to the split with the USSR during Khrushchev's time and subsequent alliance with China during the Sino-Soviet conflict. It didn have common border with the rest of WP and after that Albanian leader Enver Hoxha imposed isolation on the entire country, because relations with Yugoslavia were not good either. Albania officially left WP in 1968 during Brezhnev time.

I guess it's Poland. All other countries are too small to be a big factor as big as the USSR with the exception of maybe Romania. Yet we know that Romania wasn't so big of a factor. It was a very poor country with not very strong military.
Poland was a bigger factor.
Even if you look at it historically. Poland for many years has been fighting for superiority with the Russian Empire.

Sep 2013
Wirral
I would think Poland due to its large population and also due to Poland's need to maintain a strong army to protect itself from the threat of German revanchism in the event of German unification.
Something I’m curious about is how much freedom these countries had under Soviet domination. It might have been an interesting balancing act for the USSR, maintaining reasonably powerful forces on its side in the Warsaw Pact but not wanting them to get too independently powerful either.

The Soviets were keeping many of the warsaw pact countries under close scrutiny. Poland, Hungary and Czechoslovakia had all tried to break from their orbit; and the Russians greatly feared a independent Germany. So "powerful" can be hard to measure when they have no real independence. Romania would probably be the one with the most power of states with semi- independence but they would pale in comparison to Poland or East Germany in military might.

Similar History Discussions