• Other

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters

redcoat

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Stockport Cheshire UK
Siege of Khartoum, 1884-1885
This was an Egyptian defeat, there were no British forces involved in the siege, General Gordon was in the employ of the Egyptian government

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Siege of Khartoum, 1884-1885
This was an Egyptian defeat, there were no British forces involved in the siege, General Gordon was in the employ of the Egyptian government
I agree with you. Save Gordon and few more.. there were not even British (there were more austrohungarians in Khartoum in 1884-85 or greek than British). It was not a British defeat.

Ichon

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
Not about Toulon. British were in the same proportion than Spanish, Sardinian, Napolitan and Royalist.

About casualties in Malaya-Singapore campaign: 2.000 KIA-WOD, 6.000 WIA-MIA. Not really a bloody battle... Higher casualties in Almansa, Cartagena, Buenos Aires, Fontenoy etc than in Singapore.. in the latter lot of POW.. but not blood. In three first days in Gallipoli, British lost 9.000 men (KIA-DOW-WIA).. higher casualties than in the whole of the Malayan campaign (almost not battles in that campaign).
I think you are reading just the British casualties- not the Commonwealth losses which include Indian, Australian, New Zealand, British, and Malayan militia. I would also include the +20,000 POW who died in Japanese captivity from the more than 100k captured.

May 2018
Michigan
I would say either Yorktown or the loss of "southern" Ireland. Yorktown saw the loss of a huge part of the Empire, and Ireland was a roughly 22%? loss in home territory.

Another contender would be the Suez Crisis, which damaged British world power "esteem" so badly that it really wasn't redeemed until the Falklands Crisis.

Belgarion

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Australia
None of these battles had such an effect on Britain as did the defeat at Singapore. In every other case Britain either suffered some short term embarrassment, or was able to spin a glorious feat of arms against overwhelming odds out of the matter. Suez was a political result of the end of the empire rather than a significant military disaster.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
I think you are reading just the British casualties- not the Commonwealth losses which include Indian, Australian, New Zealand, British, and Malayan militia. I would also include the +20,000 POW who died in Japanese captivity from the more than 100k captured.
Well, I am talking about Imperial casualties: 2.000 KIA -DOW and 6.000 WIA-MIA and 130.000 POW... but not heavy casualties in blood... Singapore was not Somme, Paschaendale, Gallipoli, Cartagena de Indias or Fontenoy... from a blood point of view was "a picnic"...
2.000 ( KIA-DOW)... are nothing. Imperial Forces lost more people KIA-DOW in 24 hours in Gallipoli than in the whole Malayan campaign!!!

United Kingdom Military Series. Major Generall S.W. Kirby. The War against Japan. Volume I. The loss of Singapore. (Her Majesty┬┤s Stationery Office. London. 1957).

Singapore was not Gallipoli...nor Cartagena de Indias....not even Hong Kong, 1941... In Malayan Campaign.. Imperial Forces substained 5,6% casualties in action (KIA-DOW-MIA). In the forgotten battle of Hong Kong (38%)...Whilst in Malaya and Singapore only 5 between 100 soldiers were Killed, Dead of wounds or Wound in Action... in Hong kong.. out of 100 Imperial soldiers...38 were Killed or Wound in action!!!

Cartagena de Indias and Buenos Aires changed history... Gallipoli would have change the history.... Singapore.... what did it change?

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
I am missing Spion Kop and the Black Week in this. While relatively minor engagements, they forced the entire commonwealth to be involved and that had far reaching consequences.