Most successful Sicilian General/Admiral/Warrior?

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Do any of you guys know of any good sources on George of Antioch?
There is a recent essay, but I don't see it published on the net:
Giorgio di Antiochia. L'arte della politica in Sicilia nel XII secolo tra Bisanzio e l'Islam

Reactions: Polynikes
Jul 2013
America
There is a recent essay, but I don't see it published on the net:
Giorgio di Antiochia. L'arte della politica in Sicilia nel XII secolo tra Bisanzio e l'Islam
I’ll see if I can find it.

Anyway, did you see my earlier questions?

I’m very much interested in the army of Roger II to say the very least. To what degree did native Greek Sicilians play in military affairs? Did they serve as cavalrymen? Infantrymen? Or was George of Antioch the only ‘native’ Greek active in the army? Any articles are appreciated

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
I have never researched about the contribution of Greek Sicilians in the army of Ruggero II, anyway it's interesting to note that also Cristodulo was a Greek [as seen he was the commander of George]. Thinking that also in the continent something similar happened with Sergio VII, Duke of Naples, who became vassal of Ruggero II [this means that his Greek soldiers begun to serve Ruggero as well and there are no records of rebellions], at first sight, keeping in mind the feudal structure of the society, I'd say that Greek Sicilians, keeping on serving their own commanders, begun to fight for Ruggero as well.

But this requires more than a supposition. Today I will see if there are academic articles regarding the composition of Ruggero's army.

Reactions: Polynikes
Jul 2013
America
I have never researched about the contribution of Greek Sicilians in the army of Ruggero II, anyway it's interesting to note that also Cristodulo was a Greek [as seen he was the commander of George]. Thinking that also in the continent something similar happened with Sergio VII, Duke of Naples, who became vassal of Ruggero II [this means that his Greek soldiers begun to serve Ruggero as well and there are no records of rebellions], at first sight, keeping in mind the feudal structure of the society, I'd say that Greek Sicilians, keeping on serving their own commanders, begun to fight for Ruggero as well.

But this requires more than a supposition. Today I will see if there are academic articles regarding the composition of Ruggero's army.
Thanks for your contribution again; keep me updated please.

What are some other famous Sicilian warriors and generals you know of that haven’t been mentioned yet?

Oct 2018
Sydney
Thanks for your contribution again; keep me updated please.

What are some other famous Sicilian warriors and generals you know of that haven’t been mentioned yet?
Gelon and Timoleon are another two from ancient history, but their achievements were perhaps not in the same league as those of Dionysios and Agathokles.