Most underrated ancient Military?

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
The only real details of the invasion come from GJC himself, and he is unlikely to have stated he failed.

All we can be really sure of is that he tried to conquer twice, and failed both times. There is no real evidence that states otherwise.
But following your own words we have evidence (maybe is better to say a source) that the expeditions took place and that they weren’t conquest attempts. And I am assuming that GJC stands for the most known Gaius Julius Caesar.

If we believe in the available source or not is a question of source analysis, but we can’t create a narrative that isn’t’ there.

Mar 2018
UK
Isn't fairly established that Caesar's first visit was more of an "exploration in force" type of thing than any attempt at conquest/annexation?

The second *may* have been for that purpose, but more likely it was for glory. After all Caesar had some legions which weren't needed in Gaul, and he wasn't the kind of man who was shy about using his armies for glory. Anyway, the second expedition turned around with news of massive rebellion in Gaul - I don't believe there is the slightest shred of archeological or textual evidence that the Britons ever defeated him.

SO even in the highly unlikely case that Caesar went to Briton with the aim of conquering it, the conquest didn't happen for reasons that had absolutely nothing to do with anything the Britons actually did. Therefore it's beyond absurd to claim that the Britons had an underrated military because external circumstances stop an invasion that wasn't even an invasion.

But following your own words we have evidence (maybe is better to say a source) that the expeditions took place and that they weren’t conquest attempts. And I am assuming that GJC stands for the most known Gaius Julius Caesar.

If we believe in the available source or not is a question of source analysis, but we can’t create a narrative that isn’t’ there.
GJC does mean Gaius Julius Caesar.

The only first hand detailed account of GJC's attempt of an invasion of Britain is from GJC himself. He said he won.

Jan 2015
Australia
You're right, let's replace the actual historical record with our imaginations, not just to refute the record but to create from whole clothe the idea they were "the most underrated" military, despite no evidence for it. Nobody is taking your troll second account seriously.

It has been explained repeatedly why Caesar was extremely limited in his ability to out and out lie about his campaigns; he had fellow Romans of similar rank on these campaigns, and many were not friends of his or belonged to rival factions. Out and out lies would have been exposed and been hugely damaging to him.

Nov 2011
The Bluff
Don't waste your time, this is obviously someone's 2nd account, being used to troll and nothing more.
You might well require some decent evidence of such accusations before casually levelling them. You may disagree with the poster but I can assure you that is no second account for another poster (Duke for example).

Similar History Discussions